Lurkers must sign up now to visit our additional forums. Please register today and enjoy our endless banter. Instant access as of March 2019!

Why can't WOTC finish game worlds??????????

Discuss any non D&D roleplaying topics here.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Stik

Poll: Should WOTC be forced to finish campaign settings??

Yes
50%
No
50%
Total votes: 10

MatanThunder
Peasant
Peasant

Why can't WOTC finish game worlds??????????

Post#1 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:42 pm

:lol:

Why can't WoTC finish a game world/setting. They are now working on the 4th edition, but they can't be called upon to finish a single campaign world.

NO world maps, updated country maps, nothing.

Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance, Known World, Eberron?? (I don't know), Cerila, etc...

I don't expect them to map the planets of Spelljammer or the unchartable vastness of the planes, but the only game world that I have seen final maps on were in Spelljammer products.

Why can't these people be held accountable?

You don't even need to totally populate...saving some stuff for later...but to not finish the basic 3...Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, seems that they have ADD insteadof AD&D. :P

What do you think??

Later

:wink:

Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Marshall
Marshall

Post#2 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Perhaps it's because the game worlds don't fit onto cards?
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Jorghnassen
Peasant
Peasant

Post#3 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:27 pm

Well, I don't care for WOTC's versions of D&D (no A). But having never "finished" my own homebrewed worlds, I can't fault the company for not finishing any either. There's always room for expansion. Though perhaps now, WOTC's just thinking the only world their players need is the World of Warcraft...
Last edited by Jorghnassen on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatanThunder
Peasant
Peasant

Post#4 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:29 pm

:lol: 8)

A simple map...not fleshed out....just the continents and how they are layed out...terrain etc...as DM I can do the rest.

Homebrew worlds don't reflect that there are corporate suits in charge e of this game and they can't even close a deal about a game world.

Just full maps of the various game worlds....we the gamers can do the rest.

Later

DarkestRed
Peasant
Peasant

Post#5 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 pm

I think they do that on purpose, so the DMs

A. Get pissed off enough to where they finish it themselves

B. Make their own maps and never by WoTC, so they can't really complain about them.

SightblinderX
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post#6 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Dragonlance isn't done? Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms aren't done? Do you mean the fact that they haven't made globes for them or what?

Considering the way WotC has been heading for a few years now, I'd rather they didn't finish game worlds I like (if they truly are unfinished). Plus, I kind of like having the freedom to develop the unknown bits my own way...
Kensai & Professional Hero

JadedDM
Merchant
Merchant

Post#7 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Forgotten Realms were all created before WotC took over. They were all originally 1E settings.

SightblinderX
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post#8 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 pm

JadedDM wrote:Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Forgotten Realms were all created before WotC took over. They were all originally 1E settings.

I think we all know that...but Matan listed them off...hence my confusion...
Kensai & Professional Hero

JadedDM
Merchant
Merchant

Post#9 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:23 am

Yeah, that confuses me, too. What does he mean by 'done'? Is a campaign world ever truly done? It seems like they would continue to develop and grow forever, or die out.

Crimson-Kobold
Peddler
Peddler

Post#10 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:08 am

I personally never really got into the use of campaign settings. It always felt....I dunno, foriegn, like if I added anything, it would be conflicting with the creators vision of the setting...but I'm a bit weird that way.
The Kobold gonna kobold.

JadedDM
Merchant
Merchant

Post#11 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:28 am

Yeah, I've always felt the same way, CK. I'd get really touchy if some stranger started using my own worlds and changing things around, so I feel kind of weird doing it to other people's settings. :lol:

MatanThunder
Peasant
Peasant

Post#12 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:39 pm

8O

To me it's all interconnected like TSR envisioned it, even if Gygax only had a vague idea of what it meant.

All game worlds home brew or offiicial releases are connected by the planes or Jammer space.

The multiverse is a vast place full of the unique adventures that we can supply as gamers, and the more mundane passel that is offered by using campaign setting created by the games current copyright holders.

For myself, I have noticed a very sad state in the gaming community. First few gamers travel about the game worlds outside some set pattern or plot driven reasons...never traveling to far places like Kara Tur in the Faerun world. I also have noted from lots of posts that most gamers and DM's can't work through more than 2 or at most 3 combat encounters in a session of 4-5 hours.

Of course it is hard to get a group together, but to not accomplish more is quite disconcerting.

For me I do/did a lot of prework in the time leading up to the game. Creating random encounters, weather, city encounters, NPC encounters, building on a plot that may or may not be used, rolling dice prior to the game. There of course is a lot more but I would often have 5-6 such encounters in a single 4-5 hour game.

Of course each to their own. For me the need to keep the PC's focused would take precedence over social niceties, but it seems that this isn't the norm. It's great to have fun, but if you don't accomplish much it will take much longer to make progress in the game....especially with time constraints that most of us have to deal with....D*** reality....nasty tricksy workplace...... :lol:

Later