Star-sign warriors

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

Star-sign warriors

Postby garhkal » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 am

Way back in 97-99 i was involved in a long running campaign (the gm started it 5 years prior to me joining in, and continued it from what i heard, 2 years after i left) where 12 warriors for good, and 12 warriors for evil were selected to be the star sign champions. NOTE the term warrior is NOT just meaning fighters.
Each star sign warrior was linked to a specific star sign, and gained a regular power from this sign, and a special power. This was different for good and evil.

I cannot remember the specific powers of all signs, but i do remember some.
Pisces (the twins). Good - Regular power-can cast mirror image once a day that generates 1d4+level images. Special power, can use a variation of the Forced Symmetry psionic power, that makes one side of a person match the other (so if pc A took 34 points of damage to his left side, and 11 to his right, this power could make his left mirror the right, healing him of 23 points of damage.
Evil-regular power-can make a clone of self that lasts until it takes 1 point of damage for every level the user has. It fights on its own and can go anywhere within 1 mile of the user. Special power, can also use forced symatry, but to cause more damage to another person.

Aries (the ram). Good AND evil both have the same regular power. They can cast a strength spell on themselves which puts their strength score to 19 for one turn a day. Special power. Good can use a ram thrust attack, which creates a magical battering ram like force of energy that causes 6d8 damage (no save) to one target.
Evil, can cause one triple Maximum damage weapon blow twice a day (they must declare this use before they make a to hit roll, so if they miss, they gain no benefit).

What powers would YOU give the other star signs?

Would you make a power dependent on what 'class it was' becoming the "warrior" for that sign? Like say Capricornian's get X if they are clerics, Y if mages, Z if thieves or fighters??
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Re: Star-sign warriors

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:53 am

Interesting!

Some ideas that popped into my head...

Taurus - gorgon-like power to cast flesh to stone once per day
Aquarius - water breathing ability and/or part water or lower water
Libra - can elevate oneself to the same level or HD as your opponent (therefore "balancing" the encounter)

Hmm.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby JadedDM » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 am

Pisces is the fish, actually. Gemini is the twins. *adjusts nerd glasses*
JadedDM
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby garhkal » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Rats. Guess when i initially wrote that i should have checked...

And Hal, i like the libre power!
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

[quote="garhkal"

Would you make a power dependent on what 'class it was' becoming the "warrior" for that sign? Like say Capricornian's get X if they are clerics, Y if mages, Z if thieves or fighters??[/quote]
Yes, I absolutely would. A DM would have to come up with a lot more (Class specific) powers, but I wouldn't feel right allowing fighters to, in the case of the Aries, cast a Strength spell on themselves.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Postby garhkal » Sat May 28, 2016 12:01 am

When i first played the game where the DM had it, only a few of the star signs iirc had different powers based on which class was it.. Most of the rest were set regardless of which class. BUT then again he did kind of make it to where certain classes got 'drawn' TO specific signs....
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby garhkal » Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 pm

So i am bringing this back up to see if anyone has any input on what other potential powers the other star signs might have..

WE have Gemini (the twins) and Taurus (the bull) covered.

Halaster came up with
Aquarius - water breathing ability and/or part water or lower water
Libra - can elevate oneself to the same level or HD as your opponent (therefore "balancing" the encounter)

So that brings us up to 4. THOUGH on the Libra power, i would like to know HOW you would handle that Halaster..

That leaves Scorpio
Pisces (the Fish)
Aries (the ram)
Cancer (the crab)
Leo (the lion)
Virgo (often seen as a woman)
Capricorn (a goat
Sagittarius (an archer)

I can see Capricorn and Aries having similar powers to Taurus, unless we shift the bull's power to as Halaster suggested and make THAT one similar to a Gorgon's breath power..
Leo i can possibily see shifting the person's Cha UP (as lions are often seen and associated with royalty and charismatic leaders)
Scorpio having something to do with poison.

But what of Virgo, Cancer and Sagittarius?
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat May 13, 2017 2:00 am

Garhkal wrote:

So that brings us up to 4. THOUGH on the Libra power, i would like to know HOW you would handle that Halaster..

Two thoughts here. First, my original idea above was that once a day the person would invoke the power, and he would be able to fight, cast spells, and enjoy the abilities identical to that of the opponent. Not sure of the mechanics behind it, which would be hard because of trying to figure out memorized spells and what not. But just now I thought about changing the idea to one where the person gained the same ability scores (though not class/level) as the opponent. Then again, when it comes to monsters, it's going to be hard to rule on this power compared to human(oid) opponents with actual ability scores and what not.

For Aries I pictured being able to blast a force similar to a ring of the ram, done sorta like how it looks in the cartoon Space Ghost.

Aquarius is actually ruled by the air, element (even though it's the water-bearer and we associate it with water) so perhaps Aquarius would give the water breathing ability (air in water).

Pisces, being a true water element sign, would then either allow for the ability to part water/lower water or perhaps speak with water creatures.

Virgo, being an earth sign and being concerned with purity and nurturing, would perhaps get the ability to purify food and drink.

Leo would get either the ability to increase CHA or power similar to a rod of rulership.

Cancer is all about emotions, so perhaps the power to control emotions.

Sagittarius (being a fire element sign and representing an archer) might allow the casting of a flame arrow several times per day.

Gemini, being the twin, would probably work better with my original idea I had for Libra, i.e. making the Gemini warrior able to be the same level/class as the opponent. Then Libra would be different as it would allow for my idea above - the Libra person's ability scores morph to match that of the opponent, thus "balancing" them.

Scorpio would gain either the ability to cause poison or neutralize poison. I like the idea of cause poison more, but if we go with the idea of good vs evil versions of the signs, then clearly the evil one would cause poison, the good one would neutralize poison.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Sat May 13, 2017 9:32 pm

How's about for the LIbra.. You can 'cause yourself to be matched with another person for HD (inc HP) which affects saves and thac0 (but nothing else such as profs, spells etc, other than what spells you already may have are cast at), OR You can try to 'drag' someone down to match YOUR 'level'...
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Return to 2E AD&D - Classic Editions