New spell, Restitution..

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

New spell, Restitution..

Postby garhkal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Cause players really hate things that have no counters (stone to flesh for being petrified, neut poison for getting poisoned, raise dead for being killed etc), i made this 7th level spell up, comparable to the Restoration spell for level loss. BUT this one is specifically for unnatural aging..

Restitution.
Cleric L7
Necromantic sphere
Range touch
AoE 1 person
Casting time 3 rounds
Duration perm
Components, V/S

This variant of the restoration spell, is only usable on characters that have been aged by a ghost's attack. For each application of this spell, the recipient regains back D10 years of his vitality +1 year for every 3 levels of the caster. It cannot reduce a character's age to less then what he/she was before the ghost's attack.

What do you all think?
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Re: New spell, Restitution..

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:42 am

Very useful! And I like how it works. Although I have to admit I'd be hesitant to include it in my game simply because artificial aging is one of those rare things that is very, very difficult to reverse. Usually it ends up requiring a major quest of some sort. In the end, the restoration of youthfulness always ends up being a reason to celebrate. Not sure I'd want to make that any easier.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 am

Well, since like restoration this is a 7th level spell, requiring the cleric to be 17th level minimum AND needing an 18 in wisdom, it is very rare.. AND to limit it further you could restrict it to only certain gods..
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:09 am

Good point. It would be pretty rare. Hell, gaining that spell could be a quest unto itself! I mean, finding a church whose priests cast that spell, then finding one who can (ad is willing to!) cast it. I can use that! :thumbs:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby garhkal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Now the bigger question. In both 1e and 2e, certain clerical spells are restricted to 'being cast only on those of the faith', such as regeneration, restoration, raise dead and resurrection..

WOULD this one come under that heading?
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby lanir » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm

You could always add a rare material component or something to it if you think it might be a little cheesy. That also keeps it interesting even if an NPC is casting it.

I don't have an opinion on whether it should be kept within the faith or not, but a similar twist could be that it offends some deity or other to cast or be the target of such a spell. Or at least it tweaks their followers the wrong way. Death cults that don't get up in arms over healing spells may see this as going a little too far to stave off old age (and rare enough that they aren't taking on the whole world), followers of a deity with Time as part of their portfolio might be insulted if you get a spell like this cast by the follower of another god, etc.
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby garhkal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Well, from critiques from the gang over on dragonsfoot, i am editing the spell slightly, to allow it to also remove the magical aging from being struck by a Staff of Withering. However, it won't remove aging that is the Byproduct of casting (or receiving) certain spells.. You cast 8 hastes, you age 8 years. This spell won't restore that lost age..
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:52 am

Garhkal wrote:

Now the bigger question. In both 1e and 2e, certain clerical spells are restricted to 'being cast only on those of the faith', such as regeneration, restoration, raise dead and resurrection..
WOULD this one come under that heading?

I would say yes. Especially if the priest casting it suffers some effect. In fact, I like the idea of adding that to the spell. Perhaps the casting priest loses a point of CON. De-aging should be difficult and similar to restoration should affect the priest.

You could always add a rare material component or something to it if you think it might be a little cheesy. That also keeps it interesting even if an NPC is casting it.

No, I don't think the spell is cheesy at all. I like it! But I think I would add the penalty of the casting priest losing a point of CON or something, so that the spell (similar to restoration) is of such cost to the priest that he will only cast it if it benefits his god/church, as that would be an acceptable sacrifice to his god. I'm not a huge fan of rare components - we don't worry too much about them to begin with.

Well, from critiques from the gang over on dragonsfoot, i am editing the spell slightly, to allow it to also remove the magical aging from being struck by a Staff of Withering. However, it won't remove aging that is the Byproduct of casting (or receiving) certain spells.. You cast 8 hastes, you age 8 years. This spell won't restore that lost age..

I can see it being allowed for even aging inflicted by the casting of spells, only because I would make it so that the spell is extremely costly, plus it would only be done for members of that faith, or for some major, major quest on behalf of the church and/or conversion to that faith. I'm wondering if that would take away the edge/risk of casting spells that cause aging, but then again even if that were allowed, it's not like the PC can cast gate once a week and just run to the church every week to get de-aged. No priest would do that repeatedly, especially not if it costs a point of CON or something along those lines.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Good point. It would be pretty rare. Hell, gaining that spell could be a quest unto itself! I mean, finding a church whose priests cast that spell, then finding one who can (ad is willing to!) cast it. I can use that! :thumbs:

So can I. I would allow the spell in a game where I was DM. My further feeling is that if there is a magic spell bestowed that is strong enough to Resurrect a character from the dead, then one that reverses artificial aging shouldn't be out of the question in the AD&D world. And as garhkal and yourself have pointed out it is no easy feat to get one cast.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Postby garhkal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

No priest would do that repeatedly, especially not if it costs a point of CON or something along those lines.

If you look though hal, there is no downside to this spell to reign it in from being abused in that manner.. Hence why i am limiting it to the negative effects of staves of withering and ghost aging. NOT the 'aging that someone gets from a side effect of casting X spell..
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 am

That makes sense. I think spells that age you should be harder to "fix", because that's a check and balance against constantly hasting the entire party, for example.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby Cortez » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 am

I think this is a really good spell.
Cortez
Peasant
Peasant

Postby garhkal » Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 pm