classed based XP?

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

classed based XP?

Postby garhkal » Tue May 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Who here uses classed based XP as per the DMG, where fighters gain an extra 10xp/hd of the monster, or clerics get 100xp per spell cast in the FURTHERANCE of their faith and such? Cause looking at it, a fighter say L2 or 3 who defeated 28hd of monsters over a 3 session playing, would gain an extra 560 or 740xp..

What about the revised lists in the various class books?

Additionally, if you DO give it out, is it for all, or just for PCs (ie no henchmen or DMNPCs in the party)
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Re: classed based XP?

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm

I give clerics xp for casting spells successfully, period. If the spells are used to further the goals of their faith, or in a manner that is disadvantageous to the cleric but that furthers the faith or ethos of his order, then there's a bonus. I never liked the fighter's extra 10xp/hd of the monster. To me it makes as little sense as xp for gp. All the other PCs are getting the same amount of "experience" (learning about the monster, observing it seeing what hurts it, learning its tactics, strengths, weaknesses, etc.) as the fighter, so why would the fighter gain more "experience" for doing the same thing?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 pm

That's why often i have argued that the fighter bonus is for those only HE slays, in one on one fights..
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 pm

I can see that both ways.

On one hand, I can see that being the case - if the fighter faces the monster by himself, then his experience or learning/training in defeating that monster is his alone - he has no help, so all the learning is his, so to speak. As opposed to a party consisting of a fighter, thief and wizard facing the same monster as a group, where each individual learns ('experiences") some aspect of the creature (the thief learns the creature's back is covered with a hard carapace, the wizard learns it's immune to fire, etc).

On the other hand, I would say it still doesn't make sense - why is the fighter gaining more xp for the same experience/learning/training on a monster than a lone wizard or a lone cleric would get? I'm not seeing why a fighter would gain more xp than any other class even if he fights the monster alone. To me that's one of those meta-gamey rules to make fighters more attractive, a sort of gentle arm twist. You know, like demi-human level limits! :twisted: :wink: :lol:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby lanir » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 am

Don't use those bonus XP charts but I understand them. They're an early effort at trying to promote playing classes in ways that make sense. I always found them way too nitpicky and involving way too much random bean counting to actually use though.

For the fighter bonus based on opponent HD, I can see a point of view where it would make sense. Everyone else is looking at a particular approach and rewarding based on that. The fighter is getting his bonus based on combat. It would line up more with the others if it were based on hitting opponents but that would be way too much bookkeeping to bother with. So I think they settled on a bonus based on the opponent's HD instead. This is probably fine and probably shouldn't require the fighter to hit each opponent individually much less solo them; think about what an awful mess of bad tactics you're asking your players to make here if they really go gung-ho for this bonus XP.

If you're using the system to begin with and everyone has equal access to bonus XP and the numbers aren't badly unequal, then it's probably fine however you do it. The only real problems with this sort of system is when tracking it eats your game or when different people at the table have unequal access to the bonus XP. The latter can happen either because they don't have the same opportunities based on how you run your game or because they're playing their class well but not exactly how the designers envisioned it.
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby TigerStripedDog » Wed May 17, 2017 9:58 am

I use them - both. But there has to be a credible threat or "experience" being had. For instance, if a Fighter decided to go spend a week in the wilderness fighting goblins to collect the HD XP or something, but didn't actually accomplish much I wouldn't give a bonus. Also, IIRC its 10 x HD x Level = XP award.

Same for thieves. Thieves only get XP for the gold they acquire through THIEVERY, not from a treasure hoard they get after fighting a dragon, etc.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Merchant
Merchant

Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Postby garhkal » Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm

lanir wrote:If you're using the system to begin with and everyone has equal access to bonus XP and the numbers aren't badly unequal, then it's probably fine however you do it. The only real problems with this sort of system is when tracking it eats your game or when different people at the table have unequal access to the bonus XP. The latter can happen either because they don't have the same opportunities based on how you run your game or because they're playing their class well but not exactly how the designers envisioned it.

Very true. If i USED it as wrote, fighters gaining +10xp per level per hd of foe defeated (and didn't make it where they get it for any monster slain, just those defeated in 1-1 combat), the fighters in the group would be getting the most xp class based awards. Followed by the mages, then the clerics (since THEIR spell bonuses only come from using their spells to further the faith, not just casting because), and the thieves are pulling up last.
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 am

I also never could accept the rule where a fighter gains a 10% bonus to his xp if his STR score is 16 or higher. What is being rewarded here? Lucky dice rolling?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby lanir » Thu May 18, 2017 3:27 am

TigerStripedDog wrote:I use them - both. But there has to be a credible threat or "experience" being had.

That's one of the basic statements they make about earning XP. The example in the 2nd edition DMG in chapter 8 under Group Awards talks about a 7th level PC who needs 1 XP to advance. They can't get it by hunting down one orc.

Everyone knows the proper response to being 1 XP short of a level is to tell your DM they're being a jerk and perhaps subtly suggest that wringing their neck may be worth at least 1 XP. :bash:

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:I also never could accept the rule where a fighter gains a 10% bonus to his xp if his STR score is 16 or higher. What is being rewarded here? Lucky dice rolling?

Yeah, I don't personally use any of this. I have a single XP total everyone in the campaign is at. The simplicity of that has it's own benefits - there's never one of those conversations where someone tries to figure out if they missed an XP handout. I remember having a lot of those in the past. And honestly most of the things people are rewarded for are either sort of meaningless or have their own rewards. Or both, like the bonus XP for a high prime requisite.
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby garhkal » Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Everyone knows the proper response to being 1 XP short of a level is to tell your DM they're being a jerk and perhaps subtly suggest that wringing their neck may be worth at least 1 XP. :bash:

I've had several sessions where a character or two were just say 40xp away from leveling up, while the rest were on the way back to town to train up...
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Return to 2E AD&D - Classic Editions