Spell's you've been playing wrong

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

Re: Spell's you've been playing wrong

Postby lanir » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:40 am

I don't remember picking up any other house rules that way. It's sort of a tangent but I remember having some interesting discussions about what the target of a charm person is supposed to think of you having waved your arms and chanted at them if the spell is successful.
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby garhkal » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I've done similar on melf's acid arrow.. For my first few years DMing it, we had it where the mage rolled HIS MAGE thac0 to hit.. so often had htem missing, till someone pointed out that the mage makes his to hit USING A fighter thac0...
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:37 am

Wait a second...where does it say the wizard uses a fighter's thaco? I actually had to look that up because we still don't bother to use thaco for the spell, but it doesn't say anything about using a fighter's thaco in Unearthed Arcana or 2E PHB. The only thing mentioned is in the 2E PHB, where he gets a +2 bonus to thaco and no penalty for range. Or is that from some other source I've overlooked?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:43 pm

From the PHB..

Melf's Acid Arrow
(Conjuration)

Range: 180 yds. Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: 1 target Saving Throw: Special

By means of this spell, the wizard creates a magical arrow that speeds to its target as if fired from the bow of a fighter of the same level as the wizard.
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Cole » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 am

garhkal wrote:I just checked, and the bard's LL write up actually says "The bard need not handle the item but must examine it closely"

I play and take that statement as they can use an item such as tweezers or something other than their hands to manipulate the page turning etc. They still MUST read the tomb etc to grasp it or to benefit from it's powers etc. You can't gain magical beneifits from a script/scroll/book if you can't read it.

So YES, if they read it, they suffer the consequences as all do.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:45 am

Garhkal wrote:

From the PHB..

Oh, d'uh! When I read your post, I kept reading it as Melf's minute meteors, not Melf's acid arrow! :pos:

I was tired, that's my excuse! :lol:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:17 pm

A thread concerning Prayer and Charm got me a thinking, so i scrolled through my CJ and yup. Made another spell booboo..

I've allowed the Command spell, 4 times now, to be used to force ghouls/ghasts and 1 of my home made undead (Kephrinn) to run away (FLEE!) but there's no language for these beasts, so no one can ever speak it, to make them run away.. I will have to let everyone in my group know of this fubar, that will from now on, Not be allowed..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Previous

Return to 2E AD&D - Classic Editions