Strange problem with magic oil

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

Strange problem with magic oil

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:13 am

I'm placing treasure in my current game, and I came across an issue I haven't dealt with in years. In the 2E DMG, pg. 143, it says this about oil of etherealness:

" In the ethereal state, the individual can pass through solid object in any direction - sideways, upward, downward - or to different planes. The individual cannot touch non-ethereal objects. The oil takes effect three rounds after application, and lasts 4 + 1d4 turns unless removed with a weak acidic solution prior to the expiration of its normal effective duration."

Now if the person is ethereal and cannot touch or be touched by non-ethereal objects, then how can the "weak acidic solution" remove the oil? :?

I've always ruled that the acidic solution can remove the oil only during the 3 rounds before it takes effect. It would wash the oil away. Otherwise, after the person become ethereal, how can the acidic solution touch him in an ethereal state? I'm guessing that the wording was a bit messy or a typo.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Strange problem with magic oil

Postby lanir » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 am

It mentions applying it to clothing and exposed skin. It also mentions that it works on objects as well as creatures.

With that in mind, why not just take the acid with you?
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 am

Dear god almighty, there is that reading comprehension problem again. :roll:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby lanir » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:13 pm

I think you have correctly identified your problem.

The description of the item says near the end "One potion is sufficient to anoint a normal human and such gear as he typically carries (two or three weapons, garments, armor, shield and miscellaneous gear." The underlined part is probably sufficient to cover the vial of acid, the backpack or sack it's in, etc. It never describes you arriving naked, defenseless and without weapons in the ethereal. Since it calls out specifically that you can oil up your gear and clothing, it seems obvious those go with you.

If the acid solution is with you when you're ethereal... Why wouldn't it also be ethereal?
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Return to 2E AD&D - Classic Editions