Making a god for a pc..

Discuss game design, dice rolling methods, rpg ideas, methology, concepts ideas etc. For the ultimate nerd experience!

Making a god for a pc..

Postby garhkal » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I asked this over on DF and K&K..

BUT this site has a bunch of people that i don't see on either of those 2 sites..

OK, so say you are planning on a one off campaign (say to last for half a year or so of gaming).. its evil based where the pcs that they create are now hunting DOWN good characters (former pcs) and the like. One of the gods you have for evil, is a god of death in which part of their ethos/mantra is ANYONE who exceeds "Deaths grasp" via raise dead/reincarnation or becoming undead is something that needs to be slain! So some good folk actually LIKE his priests, as they are great undead hunters.. BUT many other good folk hate his priests, cause they also hunt down those who've been brought back to life..

How would you make it that they find out who HAS been raised/resurrected/reincarnated in their area?
Would it be A ritual that they perform, and at the completion, it tells them some info? Tells them only if they pass a XYZ check? Tells them exactly who to find?

Would it be like a version of paladin's detect evil, in that they can 'scan' someone to see if that person's been raised/resurrected? Would there be a resistance roll for the one being scanned??

Additionally, If this god is so hot against those using the spells raise dead etc, SHOULD other deities even be allowed to grant those spells, as they would be directly conflicting WITH this deity's rule over death..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Re: Making a god for a pc..

Postby lanir » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 pm

A magical ritual would give you more misdirection you could use as a DM than something that works like the paladin's detect evil ability.

But if the deity is evil, does it think it's a great waste if a few extra people end up dead? If not... why use any magic at all to accurately target? Go off of gossip and hearsay. The deity may supply a mid-level spell to locate formerly dead people (making it something the rank and file don't use very often, only a more skilled group of clerics). This would fit if the intent is less targetting accuracy and more to avoid missing anyone.

The overall effect of the gossip and hearsay + mid-level spell option would be people you love to see when you're desperate to save your town from undead... but dread afterwards as they help make new corpses out of those who managed to escape the undead menace.

If you want some more positive spin on the group, add in an event either current or historical. Resurrecting the dead has some serious potential for bad stuff to happen in a game world. Imagine a king dies, his heir takes the throne and then... two weeks later, dude pops back up and wants his fancy chair back. It's a recipe for civil war.
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:55 am

Garhkal wrote:

OK, so say you are planning on a one off campaign (say to last for half a year or so of gaming).. its evil based where the pcs that they create are now hunting DOWN good characters (former pcs) and the like. One of the gods you have for evil, is a god of death in which part of their ethos/mantra is ANYONE who exceeds "Deaths grasp" via raise dead/reincarnation or becoming undead is something that needs to be slain! So some good folk actually LIKE his priests, as they are great undead hunters.. BUT many other good folk hate his priests, cause they also hunt down those who've been brought back to life..

Right off the bat, I'm not sure the concept works. A god of death as you describe would probably more likely be a neutral god, not a god of evil. Sort of like a druid who would see it as a violation of the laws of nature (you're conceived, you're born, you grow up, you grow old, you die). Especially if he hunts down undead. Undead are almost entirely evil in alignment. Kinda hard to see an evil god wanting to destroy mostly evil creatures.

How would you make it that they find out who HAS been raised/resurrected/reincarnated in their area?
Would it be A ritual that they perform, and at the completion, it tells them some info? Tells them only if they pass a XYZ check? Tells them exactly who to find?

I'd probably go one of two ways. Either I'd make it a paladin-like ability to detect those who've been raised/resurrected, or I'd allow it as a spell or granted spell-like power. The latter (granted spell or spell-like power) would make more sense because with a paladin-like ability, he'd have to be standing really lose to someone who's been raised. It would make more sense to give him a sort of divination ability to locate the person who's been raised. That could involve having to travel to another town or city or even country.

But that brings up another issue with the concept that I can see being a problem. Are there really that many people being raised/resurrected in the campaign world? Those spells are supposed to be relatively rare, so unless being raised is a common event, I don't see what the PCs will have to do most of the time as there would be very, very few people being raised or resurrected walking about.

Would it be like a version of paladin's detect evil, in that they can 'scan' someone to see if that person's been raised/resurrected? Would there be a resistance roll for the one being scanned??

I'd say it'd be better as divination type spell. Or maybe something where the priest goes into a trance or has a dream or vision that shows him the face and body of a person and maybe some of the area in which the victim lives (maybe a major landmark, well known in, easily identified geographic feature, etc). That way it would be more of a task to understand/recognize the location, travel to the victim, and hunt him down.

Additionally, If this god is so hot against those using the spells raise dead etc, SHOULD other deities even be allowed to grant those spells, as they would be directly conflicting WITH this deity's rule over death..

Well, by default the other deities would have to be able to grant such spells, otherwise who is doing all the raising and resurrecting? If the other gods cannot grant raise dead or resurrection, then there is no problem for the death god to deal with (i.e. no people being raised from the dead).
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:45 pm

THe reason i saw him as evil, was YES he's against undead, but he also kills people (those who've extended their lives). Which is NOT seen as good.. Especially when most of those who Do get brought back ARE good...
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Cole » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 am

lanir wrote: gossip and hearsay.

This is best IMO. I prefer to stick with realistic things than some new ability etc. This allows the DM to really manipulate the situation.

I like how yeah think Lanir ;)

Also, HADES & HEL gods of death and underworlds = both evil, so I would say that's fine.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Return to Game Mechanics