RP experience awards

Discuss game design, dice rolling methods, rpg ideas, methology, concepts ideas etc. For the ultimate nerd experience!

RP experience awards

Postby Lyrwik » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:31 am

Inspired by Halaster's post about slow XP/level progression (and rather than hijacking that post), I'd like to know, how do you all approach giving XP awards for roleplay? It's something I've also done at different times, but I've not really found it all that effective at encouraging roleplaying/remaining in character, etc. However, I'm hoping that's just due to poor implementation on my part (as then I have something I can improve!)

So, for those who do use roleplay experience awards, what do you find works/doesn't work?

When do you award it? Do you give it out throughout the session, when a player is doing something good, or at the end? When handing out experience, do you give a clear breakdown of how much is combat vs story vs roleplay? How do you create the linkage between what they did and the experience you award?

Also, how do you decide how much roleplay experience is up for grabs? Is it just a factor of other (eg. combat) experience awards, or some other approach?
Lyrwik
Vagabond
Vagabond

Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Re: RP experience awards

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 am

I've used various methods over the years. At one point I think it was along these lines:

PC comes up with good idea/solution to problem = 250 xp
PC comes up with good idea/solution to problem that saves the day = 500 xp
Roleplaying consistent with alignment & class = 500 xp
Roleplaying in character (uses first person, medieval-ish or proper language, no modern slang) = 500 xp
Encourages others to roleplay, engages others = 500 xp

So just roleplaying your character well and appropriately while engaging other players will earn you an extra 1,500 xp per session. In an adventure that takes 5 sessions to play out, that's an extra 7,500 xp. 8O Add in a few good ideas or solutions and that comes to 8,000 xp.

I remember in one of my campaigns, the players had gotten a tad lazy. Many of them lost track of the roleplaying aspect and got a little mechanical. Jason, the single greatest roleplayer I've ever had the honor of having at my table, would always play with gusto and excitement. I had announced that I was going to start giving more xp for rolplaying. I remember after one long adventure (about 8 sessions) when we were going over xp, and I announced:

"And Jason, you earned an additional 15,000 xp for excellent roleplaying!"

Their eyes all popped! 8O At first they mumbled a few weak complaints about favoritism, until I detailed all the amazing things Jason had done roleplaying-wise and with thinking up solutions. The next game, everyone was in 100%, trying to outdo each other with roleplaying! :lol:

I mean, hell...that adds up! If an average game takes 4 sessions and you gain 1,500 xp per session, that's an extra 6,000 xp per adventure. More if you have good ideas. At lower levels, that can add up to a new level alone! (That might be a bit much - this system was used for low-mid level characters when they were 6th - 10th level roughly). At higher levels, over the course of a few adventures, it certainly made a substantial difference. Four adventures at that rate comes to 24,000 xp. Not bad!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:33 pm

I generally go with a 100 to 300xp bonus x level for a great RP by a player. And its generally not everyone that gets it..
Some times i also do a spot 50xp x level RP award for great quips, sayings or acts..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby lanir » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 pm

I do group-wide XP in my current game. I have had occasion to tell the group that good roleplaying and clever planning by a couple people earned them more.

If I were doing individual RP rewards again and especially if I wanted to call attention to them, I'd probably ask the players to tell me something another player did that enhanced the game for them. Then factor that into the RP reward.
lanir
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby garhkal » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 am

One thing i like how my Starwars Convention group does things, is in our modules right at the end, we have everyone vote (secretly) for whom they thought did the best RP of THEIR character, not just who was the best talker, who saved the party the best etc. THEY can't vote for themselves..
Whom ever got 1st place in that, earns a RP award.. 2nd gets a smaller one and 3rd place gets the smallest...
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Return to Game Mechanics