Are you strict on spell memorization?

Discuss game design, dice rolling methods, rpg ideas, methology, concepts ideas etc. For the ultimate nerd experience!

Are you strict on spell memorization?

Postby garhkal » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Do you go BTB (for 1 or 2e) on needing sleep then spending 15 min per spell per spell level to memorize spells?
Do you use a different amount of time for how long it takes to memorize spells once rested?
Do you use the 1e version, where it takes only 4 hrs of sleep for first and second level spells, 6 hrs for 3rd and 4th, 8 for 5th on up? Or are you more of a 2e person where its a flat 8 hrs..?
Do you not require sleep, just 'resting', and if so, what can they do while "Resting"?
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Re: Are you strict on spell memorization?

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am

I always use the 1E method. I love the challenge it brings to the game. If the PCs only manage 8 hrs. of sleep, no more high level spells. It's always made the game more challenging, I think. I never liked the watered-down 2E system, where the wizard only needs "a good night's sleep". What doe that even mean? I can see a player arguing that his wizard normally sleeps only 6 hrs. a night and that's "a good night's sleep". :roll: And then in 2E they reduced the memorization time from 15 min./level to 10 min./level. Bah! Coddling! :lol:

And yes, it has to be actual sleep, not just "resting".
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:56 am

I am trying to remember whether 2e even says how much sleep's needed or not..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 pm

When I checked the DMG yesterday to make sure I remembered it correctly (since I always use the 1E method), all it said was the wizard needs a "good night's sleep". Then it was 10 minutes per spell level.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Return to Game Mechanics