Lurkers must sign up now to visit our additional forums. Please register today and enjoy our endless banter.

The Thanksgiving Turkey Confrontation

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Halaster-Blackcloak
Lord
Lord

The Thanksgiving Turkey Confrontation

Post#1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:34 am

Well, I decided to share a story about Thanksgiving this year. I bought my turkey from Larry Schultz Farms. Nice organic pasture-raised birds - they taste terrific, they're healthier than Butterball and the factory farmed crap, and they're juicy and delicious. I actually ordered it from a nearby co-op. Unfortunately, this co-op is in Oak Park, which is a liberal haven of incompetent retards that I've rarely seen rivaled anywhere on earth. These people can't negotiate a 4 way stop sign, and I'm now convinced that they need instructions to tell them how to wipe their asses.

So I called the place twice, and both times they said the turkeys were coming in FRESH, not FROZEN. I asked twice. They assured me - fresh, not frozen. So I said fine, I'll pick it up around 9PM on Tuesday, jut before Thanksgiving. I get there and the damned thing is frozen solid like a freaking bowling ball .We're talking about roughly 17 pounds of turkey here! So I told them it was supposed to be fresh, what's going on, etc. They bring out the manager and he doesn't have any common sense, courtesy, or customer service skills. This is what happens when you deal with idiot liberals at hippie co-ops. I told him look, I called your store TWICE, and TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE assured me the turkeys were coming in fresh. This bird would take 4 freaking days to thaw in my fridge! And I didn't like the risk and idea of spending 9+ hour changing the water in a huge tub every 30 minutes and being up until 6AM doing it. He refused to refund the deposit or give me a discount. He could have said:" Sorry, our mistake, let me give you a 10% discount." That would have been about $6 off a $60+ bird. Nope. So I cussed him out in front of customers, told him how I was going to go online and put up posters to hurt his business reputation and sales, and so on. I walked out with the bird.

So I called my bank, told them what happened, and they reversed the charges. Now I'm going to print up the refund from the bank, go into the store, and tell the manager:

"See ass-hole? You could have admitted your incompetence and shown some customer service skills. Instead you lost a customer, provided me with a free $60 turkey, and caused a public relations nightmare for your stupid little hippie hang out. Merry Christmas, ass-hole."

I am a terrorist when it comes to dealing with poor customer service, and I've only grown nastier and less tolerant each year.

A friend of mine said "Why do you treat these people like shit?"

My answer? "Because they are pieces of shit."

Hmmm. I think I'll call the Larry Schultz Farm people and see what they have to say about it too. Maybe I can help arrange for them to get their turkeys into Whole Foods instead, and really screw that co-op next year. Sometimes I even amaze myself. :twisted:

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Knight
Knight

Re: The Thanksgiving Turkey Confrontation

Post#2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:46 am

Bahahaha! Finally, someone like me! I worked in the food industry for years. We were all taught "the customer is always right". I 100% agree, he should have simply given you the discount or offered something else with it as compensation.

He is obviously an ill equipped manager. I would have done much the same Hal, as I can't stand incompetence. Liberal or otherwise. I live on an island of hippies for only 28 more days and then I'm finally free of these people and will be moving directly into the heart of Cons for the most part. (Different cons than the US) but still way more like me.

My new home appears to be surrounded by intelligent people, very friendly ones at that. I'm sure getting a fresh turkey next season won't be an issue any longer. :)

Thanks for sharing your story. Made me laugh anyway... but I will advise you leave the "butthole" comments to him and not to the audience around him. They shouldn't have to be subjected to his tongue lashing. ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#3 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Did you at least get the names of both of those people who assured you that they were coming in fresh not frozen??

Halaster-Blackcloak
Lord
Lord

Post#4 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:43 pm

I didn't get the names of the people I spoke with, but I have phone records to see who was working those days. I think I'll be going there just before Xmas to tell the manager that I would have done a bunch of Xmas shopping there, but instead will be going to a competitor, and rub it in that I got the turkey for free. I've always argued that the Seven Deadly Sins was simply an overly complicated expansion of the One True Deadly Sin - Stupidity. All others flow from it.

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#5 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 pm

While i agre stupid people are a problem, so are people who go back to stores and GLOAT to workers there about "how i screwed you over"..

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Knight
Knight

Post#6 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:52 am

Lol. Yeah I don't gloat. I'm just an ass to their face in the first place.
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons

Halaster-Blackcloak
Lord
Lord

Post#7 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Not gloating about "screwing them over". I'm rubbing their face in it to make sure they're aware that they lost money over their shitty service. If I don't do that, they'll probably never notice that it got refunded. The accountant won't run to them about a $60 charge back. So it's my job. Plus, I'm not gloating to the workers. I'm rubbing the MANAGER'S face in it. :twisted:

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#8 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Still sounds like gloating to me, wanting to "Rub the managers face in it"..

Halaster-Blackcloak
Lord
Lord

Post#9 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Yes, I absolutely am gloating. And with good reason. The manager is a rude ass-hole and I decided I want to make sure he knows that his asshole-ness cost him money. It's the only way people like that change. But I'm not rubbing the employees' faces in it. It was really the manager's fault. And I suppose the employees who didn't get their facts straight, but I don't know which one(s) were actually responsible, so they get a pass.

It's not a punishment or an attitude adjustment if the perpetrator doesn't realize he's been punished.

JadedDM
Peddler
Peddler

Post#10 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:21 am

I'm sure he'll be devastated at the loss of your money. Hopefully the company can somehow carry on.

Halaster-Blackcloak
Lord
Lord

Post#11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Don't be silly. It's not an attack to put him out of business. Although the bad reviews may well hurt the business a bit.

No, it's really to rub his nose in the fact that it cost him $60 for poor customer service. Maybe he'll use his brains, or what counts as brains in liberals, next time. See, when everyone is a wimp and takes these slights without a fuss, it encourages poor behavior. But when it hits them in the pocket book, it gets their attention. We need more people like me. Customer service, which has hit an all-time low in America, would recover! :wink:

JadedDM
Peddler
Peddler

Post#12 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:06 pm

You have no idea the politics of the manager or their employees, and even if you did, it has no bearing or relevance to your story and is against the forum rules. Seriously, stop bringing up politics and insulting people who follow ideologies different from your own.

Halaster-Blackcloak
Lord
Lord

Post#13 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Quit whining. I know their politics. I know their kind. I know these people. And it has a direct bearing on my story. No one forced you to read this thread.

JadedDM
Peddler
Peddler

Post#14 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:31 pm

It's not whining. I'm a moderator and I'm enforcing the rules. If you don't like the rules, you're free to leave.

Halaster-Blackcloak
Lord
Lord

Post#15 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 pm

You're complaining because I mentioned the people at the store are liberals. It has nothing to do with their politics. I'd be rubbing their noses in it even if they were conservative. It's all about customer service. I know a lot of people these days lack the ability to correct customer service problems and force companies to compensate for their failures, but I'm not one of those.

Question - would you have been this upset about the thread had I NOT mentioned their politics? Is it the fact that I mentioned their politics or the fact that I rubbed their noses in it? If its the former, I'll certainly be more careful not to mention politics again (I generally try to avoid that topic). If it's the latter, well...that's just how life is.