Lurkers must sign up now to visit our additional forums. Please register today and enjoy our endless banter. Instant access as of March 2019!

Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

User avatar
JadedDM
Marshall
Marshall
Posts: 654

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#61 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:56 pm

I rather liked Lower Decks, myself.

In addition to that, the Section 31 show, Picard, Discovery, and Strange New Worlds, there will also be a kid's show on Nickelodeon called "Star Trek Prodigy." Evidently Janeway is returning for that one.

User avatar
Lukafio
Peddler
Peddler
Posts: 236
Contact:

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#62 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:19 pm

JadedDM wrote:
Lukafio wrote:I enjoyed their version of Pike and the Enterprise, but that is all I saw of it. I'm not sure when, but Pike will be the focus of a confirmed new Star Trek series. That almost has me willing to pay for CBS access.

Yes, it's going to be called "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds." But knowing what I know about Pike...it's going to have a hell of a downer ending, I guess.

Yeah I get your point, but that never stopped me from watching Titanic and cheering for the iceberg. :lol:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

User avatar
New Hegdeh
Artisan
Artisan
Posts: 394

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#63 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 am

Lukafio wrote:
JadedDM wrote:
Lukafio wrote:I enjoyed their version of Pike and the Enterprise, but that is all I saw of it. I'm not sure when, but Pike will be the focus of a confirmed new Star Trek series. That almost has me willing to pay for CBS access.

Yes, it's going to be called "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds." But knowing what I know about Pike...it's going to have a hell of a downer ending, I guess.

Yeah I get your point, but that never stopped me from watching Titanic and cheering for the iceberg. :lol:


That's cold...

pun intended.

JadedDM wrote:I rather liked Lower Decks, myself.


Sorry for dissing on a show you like but I cannot stand the cynicism of the show and the art style, probably it is the art style what I loathe more.

JadedDM wrote:In addition to that, the Section 31 show, Picard, Discovery, and Strange New Worlds, there will also be a kid's show on Nickelodeon called "Star Trek Prodigy." Evidently Janeway is returning for that one.


I think I could watch STP.
Every minute is a year of struggle

User avatar
garhkal
Baronet
Baronet
Posts: 2083
Contact:

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#64 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:20 pm

I've not gotten into ANY OF THE streaming services, Especially disney...

User avatar
JadedDM
Marshall
Marshall
Posts: 654

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#65 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:50 pm

New Hegdeh wrote:Sorry for dissing on a show you like but I cannot stand the cynicism of the show and the art style, probably it is the art style what I loathe more.

The art style is very similar to Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites, but I suspect that's because one of the co-creators of those shows made it.

User avatar
New Hegdeh
Artisan
Artisan
Posts: 394

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm

and similair ti thundercats roar and to the new TMNT, and everything these days... it just sucks...
Every minute is a year of struggle

User avatar
JadedDM
Marshall
Marshall
Posts: 654

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#67 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:32 pm

I don't know what the new TMNT looks like, but I have to disagree about Thundercats Roar. I don't think it looks anything like Rick and Morty or Lower Decks. I always thought it looked a lot more like Adventure Time, if anything.

Then again, I also think some of the animation on Lower Decks, especially the space stuff, looks pretty good.

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
New Hegdeh
Artisan
Artisan
Posts: 394

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#68 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 pm

to be fair I only watched the first episode... couldn't stand it to care... adventure time is similar to roar and the new tnmt and well, these new cartoons are all similiar and on purpose drawn like shit... obviously, whenever sentient anthropomorphs do not appear, they make an exception
Every minute is a year of struggle

User avatar
Lukafio
Peddler
Peddler
Posts: 236
Contact:

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#69 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:32 am

I not a fan of CBS All Access (but hey it's their business) so I don't subscribe. I thought STLD was just an attempt to grab $$$ in a cheap way, same with STD (DISCO). I do have to admit that I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the stories and plot-lines that have come out of both. Yes I am an old school Trekkie, but they have been giving a nod to the old stories, including TAS, and moving forward in their own fashion. They are not perfect and I am still not signing up for the CBS service, but they are trying and that I will grant them ... sometimes.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

User avatar
New Hegdeh
Artisan
Artisan
Posts: 394

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#70 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:32 am

Discovery is now in netflix, it comes out every Friday, maybe cbs all access gets it on thursdays.
Every minute is a year of struggle

User avatar
JadedDM
Marshall
Marshall
Posts: 654

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#71 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:10 am

Specifically, Netflix International. The US version doesn't get it.

User avatar
Lukafio
Peddler
Peddler
Posts: 236
Contact:

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#72 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:26 pm

... and I don't subscribe to any streaming services by personal choice, but thanks for sharing.

JadedDM wrote:Specifically, Netflix International. The US version doesn't get it.


Could set up a VPN to get non-US shows.
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

User avatar
JadedDM
Marshall
Marshall
Posts: 654

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#73 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Lukafio wrote:... and I don't subscribe to any streaming services by personal choice, but thanks for sharing.

There are people who watch TV that isn't streamed??? :wink: :lol:

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a TV show that was broadcast. At least a decade, I think. Probably back whenever the US switched from analog airwaves to digital ones, rendering my old rabbit ears useless.

User avatar
New Hegdeh
Artisan
Artisan
Posts: 394

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#74 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:25 pm

JadedDM wrote:Specifically, Netflix International. The US version doesn't get it.


Look at the bright side, you get all 3 Back to the Future movies, we get either 1st and 3rd or just 2nd...

There's pirate sites too, but I didn't say that.
Every minute is a year of struggle

User avatar
Lukafio
Peddler
Peddler
Posts: 236
Contact:

Re: Live action superhero, fantasy and sci fi shows

Post#75 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:15 pm

JadedDM wrote:
Lukafio wrote:... and I don't subscribe to any streaming services by personal choice, but thanks for sharing.

There are people who watch TV that isn't streamed??? :wink: :lol:
I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a TV show that was broadcast. At least a decade, I think. Probably back whenever the US switched from analog airwaves to digital ones, rendering my old rabbit ears useless.

Ah but the new 'rabbit ears' are not too bad. But I don't watch TV either any more. I have as decent media collection that I view. From time to time, I will grab a Redbox DVD to see something new. Believe it or not, that is how I saw most of the Marvel movies.

New Hegdeh wrote:
JadedDM wrote:Specifically, Netflix International. The US version doesn't get it.

Look at the bright side, you get all 3 Back to the Future movies, we get either 1st and 3rd or just 2nd...
There's pirate sites too, but I didn't say that.

I've heard of those places. Everyone has a parrot on a shoulder, a wooden peg leg, and every other word is 'Arrgh'. :rotf:
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests