Those wonderful 1E tidbits!

Any topics concerning TSR's 1st edition Dungeons & Dragons (Gygaxian Era)

Moderators: Cole, Stik, Brightmantle

Those wonderful 1E tidbits!

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:41 am

God, how I love the 1E PHB and DMG! So many hidden, often-forgotten tidbits that never cease to inspire!

I was looking for some info on demons, and it took me about 20 minutes of memory-straining to remember that the 1E DMG has the names for Type IV, V and VI demons in the monster tables at the back. So cool! 8)
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Those wonderful 1E tidbits!

Postby Billy_Buttcheese » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Yeah, there are lots of oft ignored gems in the DMG appendices. Have you ever tried to create a random dungeon with the generator? Tons o' fun! :D
Billy_Buttcheese
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 am

Billy_Buttcheese wrote: Have you ever tried to create a random dungeon with the generator? Tons o' fun! :D

Yes, I did do that! You end up with a dungeon that doesn't really make sense, but it is very fun!
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Artisan
Artisan

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:44 am

The random dungeon generator is indeed fun! :twisted:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby Billy_Buttcheese » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 pm

RPG Dinosaur wrote:
Billy_Buttcheese wrote: Have you ever tried to create a random dungeon with the generator? Tons o' fun! :D

Yes, I did do that! You end up with a dungeon that doesn't really make sense, but it is very fun!

A long time ago, (circa 1990) my friend and I sat down to play and realized neither of us had a prepared adventure readied so we decided to give it a try. We took turns being player and DM. We used a huge (24" x 24") piece of 1/4" square hex paper and got down to it. We each took one PC (mine was an elf F/MU and he ran a 1/2-elf F/C). I still have the map and you're right, it turned screwy very quickly. I kept the map in hopes of one day returning to it but we don't live close any more so I don't foresee a completion in the future. We still text/chat irregularly and inevitably one of us will bring this up, both with huge smiles on our faces. Damn I miss those good times!!!
Billy_Buttcheese
Vagabond
Vagabond

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Billy_Buttcheese wrote:
A long time ago, (circa 1990) my friend and I sat down to play and realized neither of us had a prepared adventure readied so we decided to give it a try. We took turns being player and DM. We used a huge (24" x 24") piece of 1/4" square hex paper and got down to it. We each took one PC (mine was an elf F/MU and he ran a 1/2-elf F/C). I still have the map and you're right, it turned screwy very quickly. I kept the map in hopes of one day returning to it but we don't live close any more so I don't foresee a completion in the future. We still text/chat irregularly and inevitably one of us will bring this up, both with huge smiles on our faces. Damn I miss those good times!!!

AWESOME.

I wouldn't say that the town/city encounter table was a well hidden, and it really worked best for use with an actual population appropriate city, but some of the possibilities listed were wonderful tidbits that I would never have come with on my own. Remember Rakes? AD&Ds version of badly, behaving jocks, of a level not to take lightly! :) No offense to anyone who was or is a jock! :D Remember Press Gangs? Did anyone ever have their character(s) get 'recruited' by one or use one in their campaigns?
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Artisan
Artisan

Postby Cole » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:God, how I love the 1E PHB and DMG! So many hidden, often-forgotten tidbits that never cease to inspire!

I was looking for some info on demons, and it took me about 20 minutes of memory-straining to remember that the 1E DMG has the names for Type IV, V and VI demons in the monster tables at the back. So cool! 8)

This is WHY 1E is best ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Cole » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:09 pm

RPG Dinosaur wrote:
Billy_Buttcheese wrote: Remember Rakes? AD&Ds version of badly, behaving jocks, of a level not to take lightly! :) No offense to anyone who was or is a jock! :D Remember Press Gangs? Did anyone ever have their character(s) get 'recruited' by one or use one in their campaigns?

This is something I simply don't recall. And here I thought I had it all memorized... lol

What book(s) are these in RPGD?
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Cole wrote:

This is WHY 1E is best

Absolutely! It just gets better with age, like a fine wine! :thumbs:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:41 am

Cole wrote:
RPG Dinosaur wrote:
Billy_Buttcheese wrote: Remember Rakes? AD&Ds version of badly, behaving jocks, of a level not to take lightly! :) No offense to anyone who was or is a jock! :D Remember Press Gangs? Did anyone ever have their character(s) get 'recruited' by one or use one in their campaigns?

This is something I simply don't recall. And here I thought I had it all memorized... lol

What book(s) are these in RPGD?

They are in the 1E DM's Guide, as possibilities under the Town/City Encounter table.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Artisan
Artisan

Return to 1E AD&D - Classic Editions