Weather issues when traveling in Oct-Dec up in mountains?

Discuss game design, dice rolling methods, rpg ideas, methology, concepts ideas etc. For the ultimate nerd experience!

Weather issues when traveling in Oct-Dec up in mountains?

Postby garhkal » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:35 am

One of the things i often see overlooked in gaming, especially when traveling in mountains, is Weather..

So lets say your land mirrors the US, and your band of adventurers is up in the lower to middle parts of say the Cascades or northern part of the applacians. IN late October/early November.. Checking some maps, they would be around the 1,500 to 2,000 meters above sea level range.. With some of the mountains capping out at 3,000 meters..

What weather issues would they be facing in this sort of environ, besides high winds, rain and possibly early snow falls..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Re: Weather issues when traveling in Oct-Dec up in mountains

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 am

Heavy rain, mudslides/landslides, falling rocks, storms, hail, etc.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:Heavy rain, mudslides/landslides, falling rocks, storms, hail, etc.

So what would that do for movement (especially since they are on horseback with carts).. Half the speed or worse? How nasty would those mud/rock slides be?
Snow issues on ranged combat? What sort of penalties?
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:08 pm

This is why I love the Wilderness Adventure Guide! :wink: A lot of good info in there pertaining to subject such as this.

Just off the top of my head (if I come off scrambled it's because I'm fighting off the flu and I am whacked out!)...

Horses would be able to traverse some relatively flat mountains, especially if there are trails. Otherwise, mules or donkeys will be needed. Carts would probably not be able to be taken into the mountains, unless there are relatively clear paths. Without some clear, flat ground, the carts will get broken up on rock outcroppings, uneven ground, etc.

Depending on weather, movement rate can go even lower than half speed. Assuming no inclement weather, just the difficulty of scaling the mountains will reduce horses and men significantly. The WSG details movement in mountains in miles per day. Assuming light encumbrance, the movement rate is 6 miles per day, or about half speed. Heavy encumbrance will reduce that to 3 miles in the mountains.

The rock-slides and mudslides can be deadly! Avalanches are listed as doing 2d10 to 3d20 damage, depending on the size of the avalanche.

Rock-slides amount to being "attacked" 4 times per round for 2-5 rds. by falling rocks that strike as a 5 HD monster. Each hit causes 1d4 damage. That can add up to as much as 20d4 damage. If the PC takes 20+ pts. of damage, he falls and takes falling damage as well. Mudslides aren't as bad, doing no damage, but they do sweep the PC away, and land him in a pool of mud. Then, he has a chance to sink under the mud and suffocate.

Snow is going to slow movement to almost a standstill, especially if it's a foot deep or more. Falling snow, if it's heavy enough, can obscure vision and cause penalties to hit on missile fire.

The WSG is indispensable when using wilderness adventures. The only problem with is is that at time it can get a little technical. But definitely a good resource!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Pity i gave both it and my DSG away many years back, when i stopped doing 1e :x :x

Since they are over 10 days into the mountains from where they entered and have been steadily going north (and somewhat higher) and its just past the start of Nov, i've already hit them with a few days of cold rain. BUT nothing moe serious YET..
BUT looking at it, and checking DF (where i got some other info) it does seem like they should be getting hit by colder temps, worse weather and the like SOON. So hopefully they turn around, go home till winter's done..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Hell no! Better if they actually do brave the frigid rigors of mountain adventuring! :twisted:

My players just got through with a mountain adventure that took place in an incredibly (read: magically influenced) winter. It was tough! But a lot of fun.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby Stik » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:35 pm

The biggest concern is not so much what the weather can do, but how fast it can do it. Spring and autumn weather tend to be somewhat chaotic in the mountains. Huge temperature changes in a very short time, accompanied by storms, are possible. Mid-afternoon you're walking around sweating in seventy-five degrees and sunshine and three hours later it's hailing and forty degrees.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Yeah, the changing weather is a big one! That's the sort of things people don't think about.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:00 am

Our party is currently in the mountains in the 2nd month of spring.

And it was a tough day for our characters today! The party was climbing higher into the mountains on the way to their destination when they encountered a rock slide. Luckily nobody fell far, as they were tethered together. Still, 4 of the 5 characters took damage from falling stones. They were able to use a dig spell to create a sheltered spot in the mountain face and rode out most of the rock-slide.

The next day a powerful storm blew through. Lots of lightning. Well, my DM Rolling Skills always end up resulting in some interesting results :twisted: and so we got blasted by a direct hit of lightning! My DM/PC character (a priest of Horus) took the brunt of it and failed his saving throw. Luckily, he was wearing armor of Horus (from FR10 Old Empires) which was essentially scale mail +4, and allows half or quarter damage from electrical attacks (depending on whether he rolls a successful save).

He missed his saving throw, so he needed to make item saving throws, right? Well, the armor (being metal) needs a 12 or higher, with a bonus of +4 for its pluses, so now the roll needed is an 8, and since it was saving against an attack it was designed to resist, it gained another +2 bonus, so it needed to roll a 6 or higher. Easy, right?

He rolled a 1. 8O :cry:

Armor is gone! So much for that awesome AC: -1. Now he's AC: 7, the highest AC of any of the characters. :cry:

Luckily his holy avenger sword made its saving throw - a natural 20! :)

Losing that armor is really gonna hurt in this adventure! Oh yes it will! :pop:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm

A priest walking around with a holy avenger?? Strange.
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Not strange at all, when you realize he's a priest of Horus. 8) In 2E Legends & Lore, priests of Horus are actually chaotic good paladins with priest spell-casting ability. They can use any weapon. Hence his holy avenger sword.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:24 pm

And people wonder why i won't ever use that L&L Book, cause it has so many broken rules... A chaotic paladin? Who's actually a priest?!?!
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 pm

I think it works, given that Horus is the god of vengeance. Granted, it sounded odd to me at first too. But it works.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Return to Game Mechanics