Lurkers must sign up now to visit our additional forums. Please register today and enjoy our endless banter.

Implausible map?

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe
Marshall
Marshall

Implausible map?

Post#1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:04 pm

I'm posting this because it's about a place near and dear to my heart, and also because I am a big proponent of making sure that the little details of a game world are plausible, so as to make the implausible things more believable.

A game designer has offered a critique of a map for being unrealistic.
And it's a map of New Orleans.

Read the article here.

My favorite is slide #7. That long bridge is the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, and it's nearly 24 miles long. I drove over it last year on my way from Abita Springs to New Orleans. It was really bizarre to drive for such a long time and not see any land at all in any direction.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

JadedDM
Peddler
Peddler

Re: Implausible map?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Steve really is the worst. :P

Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler

Re: Implausible map?

Post#3 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Wonder how he'd critique a map of the Florida Keys? There are a couple spans on that road that are pretty long, more than 4-5 miles (I think the stretch between Knight Key and Ohio Key is over 10 miles). Also don't forget that at one time there was a railroad line that followed that same path. I get his point about why the widest point of the lake, though.