Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:29 pm

Advanced search

Post subject: Re: Act 2, Scene 1: "A Flicker of Hope" (Main Game Thread)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

It's a pretty sturdy place. Tall walls, lots of protection from outside threats, and good honest people too. It was built to protect the road between us and the kingdom to the south, but that fight never really got started. I think they knew the Sun Kingdom would make it much too costly for them. And they wouldn't dare try to march an army across the Fenris' forest. Not that they ever threatened to, but... well their laws are... different. Anyway, Bordertown is as safe as it comes. Ruled over by Lord Tershan Ulfbert. Cousin to the king you know...

Cousin to the last king. Dirk interjects

Sherfan waves it off, they're all related. Anyway, the four wards in town are set up so even if an enemy breached the gates, one part of town could be evacuated and then shut off from the others so the people could retreat to safety. Right in the middle is the Keep, which is pretty imposing to the less-friendly. But Bordertown has almost any good honest trade you could ask for.

As the day and conversation wear on, they take the final turn out of the thick of the forest. A cleared field lies ahead, nearly a half mile wide. The walls themselves rise some fifty feet above the earth, which has been sloped downward on the approach to the outer wall. An earthen bulwark interrupts the slope just before the wall, bristling with wooden spikes that seem never to have seen action. The only opening visible on this face of the wall stands in line with the narrow road. A secondary curtain-style wall, only thirty feet high or so, runs out from the east and west of the city until it merges with the forest. Metal spikes and highly polished stone adorn the steeply peaked top of the run, discouraging trespass. Crenelations dot the battlements, alternating bastions and brief sections of taller wall for cover; with shielded areas to fire down. A pair of small towers flank the single gate visible from this side.

The open area is full of corn and what looks to be farmland for roots and tubers; with separate areas for penned hogs and grazing goats. Mounted men scan and patrol the area diligently. One such group soon spots the adventurers and trots in their direction. Daylight has begun to fail as the sun dips below the treetops in the approaching dusk, and they can see that the herders and farmers are making their way towards the narrow open gates. Movement atop the battlements suggests this is a closely watched and heavily guarded process.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:19 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Nocturno starts to temper his nose to the smells of a Human town.

"I do look forward to a bed other than my bedroll."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:50 pm 
Lord
Lord

As the mounted men approach, Jordek moves slower allowing Nocturno to take the lead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:06 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

As the riders approach, the group can see they consist of a trio of lightly armored men bearing tabards of a quartered square symbol of alternating purple and silver. Each of them wears studded leather or chain and helm, and bears both a long spear and sword. One peels off from the others and approaches, spear pointed down and to the side in a non-threatening manner. Evening, travelers. he says cordially, eyes taking in faces, attire, armor and weapons in a trained manner. Cutting it close to dark, what brings you to Bordertown? His tone is casual, but his guard is never down. The other two riders stay back several yards, presumably to carry warning in the event of a trap.

Gods it's good to see the field-watch. Sherfan says, raising a hand in greeting; which Dirk mimics. The mounted man returns the non-verbal greeting in kind. You're Border-men?

The half-elf nods, gesturing to Dirk. He and I are. And these folk saved us! We've been kept prisoner by the goblins near the Rift. Dirk Spits as Sherfan relates the rough details of their capture. The field-watchman shows only minor surprise at the events, but nods. I see. Well, on behalf of the City of Bordertown, I thank you. I am Corporal Ternek. If it please you, I will lead you to the city. Upon their agreement he turns and leads them back towards the other two riders. He calls out to one and speaks briefly with the man before the second trots off at a faster pace towards the walls.

As they walk, Cpl Ternek asks them a little about themselves. As they near the wall he leads them down the sloped ground and past the spiked bulwark. The ground turns sharply uphill again as it passes through the gate, a thick oaken affair set wide against the walls and made to fit snugly against a stone foundation. Just beyond the gate a pair of portcullises loom overhead, currently raised to allow entry. Trap doors and murder-holes can be easily seen in the ceiling area between the two.

From here they can see that the road inside is flanked by 40 foot high walls, dotted with their own fortifications, that run over 100 yards in length until apparently dead-ending. Along the way, two gate-like bridges span the area between the walls, sporting more sets of portcullises. The road itself lies wide enough for perhaps three wagons, or more likely a wagon to either side and faster traffic like horses and people to pass through the center. The road has been cleared save for the returning flocks and several mounted riders. It eventually becomes apparent that the ‘dead-end’ actually turns to additional gates to either side of the alley-like span; as the locals file in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:31 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Nocturno will bow/salute which ever is the accepted protocol.

"Nocturno of Misan. We have the pleasure of delivering these Men back to safety. Have you heard of any other Goblin kind activity?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Ternek shakes his head, Not aside from rumors near the Rift. Had a few orcs around here not long ago, but others saw to them. Actually, the folk who brought back the other captives dispatched some orcs recently. He answers.

The failing light and the relatively narrow space between the high walls casts a dim light along the road. The sounds of closing gates and portcullis can be heard behind as the final stragglers enter the city. The final reach leads to a flat wall with scores of arrow slits and defensive shutters. A wide banner hangs in the center, boasting the Bordertown crest from a much higher wall, that appears to be part of a centralized Keep. To the East and West are gates and portcullises similar to the main on the outer wall of the city.

Suddenly a voice calls from the throng on one side. May I never see the sun again... A familiar face appears in the crowd, hair and face looking more recently trimmed than Nocturno and Jordek recalled. Didn't expect you guys back so soon, though you're as welcome as a cloak in a storm. Tag's face bears a lopsided grin, which looks to be a near-permanent feature. More of our waylaid citizens returned? You keep this up, they'll give you a human knighthood. he jests.

Nocturno and Jordek recognize Tag, one of the freed human guardsmen from the Wetrocks outpost.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Nocturno will salute Tag with an overly formal saulte, one observing might think the Elf was trying to make a joke. "Has everyone else been well since we left?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:56 am 
Lord
Lord

Jordek mimics Nocturno's greeting to the Corporal.
The bow/salute followed by "Jordek of..." He hesitates momentarily and then awkwardly continues "Jordek. Yep. Jordek of Jordek." And promptly shuts his mouth.

Seeing the more familiar face of Tag, Jordek unintentionally lets loose some of his pent up nervousness. "Hi! A knighthood you say! Well that would be something. I don't think they'll give us a knighthood. Do you think they'll give us a knighthood? I don't think I'd be a good knight but I suppose I'd have to try if they made me one. Food. Do you know if there is somewhere I can get a pie? I've missed pies. I told Chitt that he could have some pie." With a look of dawning horror creeping over his face, Jordek claps a hand over his mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Tag's grin widens at the Elf's stiff salute, and even farther at Jordek's rambling. I can take them from here if you like, Ternek. We'll find our esteemed guests a corner to curl up in at the Horse and Plow... and some pie. The other corporal salutes and nods. Bidding farewell to the pair and leading off the two residents. Before going, Sherfan and Dirk thank the others profusely and promise to come by the inn later.

Tag leads them on through the gate to the East. The layout of this section of the city is basically square, with one corner jutting into it from the centralized keep. Another large set of gates stands in the wall there. The bustle of a small city mills about in the dusky evening as tavern, shop and home lights bare their warm glows. The sounds of stock animals can be heard as well, pens of goats and hogs and other livestock. This is the Third Ward, better known as the Stable Ward. Most of the livestock of Bordertown is kept here or held between the curtain walls at night sometimes. Each section of the city is basically self-sufficient, having everything it needs to survive for a while should an enemy take any other portion of the city. he explains.

As they go, the pair spots butchers, cheese makers, chandlers, leatherworkers, provisioners, saddle and tack supplies, general supply, farriers and a variety of other shops. There are also many residences and a few flophouses, inns and taverns. Tag leads them up to one particular inn. This is the "Horse and Plow", I'll speak with the inkeep about rooms for you. I'm sure the lord will cover the bill when he learns more of his citizens have been returned safe.

====
i'll add the map to the ggeneral knowledge thread

Population of Bordertown: appx 7,400. Each ward is sized to house slightly over 20% of that, if that helps with the scale.

The portcullises coming into town are set in pairs all have stone headers above them into which a portion of the gate rises. Arrow slits and murder holes abound on the approach. The main gate and secondary portcullises have all been closed now, but the ward gates remain open at the moment.

The outer wall has sections set forward so people can fire down at anyone attacking the wall itself. It also has sections of cover for troops defending it. The ground slopes down towards the earthen bulwark, and then up after so troops charging will have trouble stopping before crashing into the pikes, and then have to climb the steep and heavily defended approach.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

"Ah to be clean, and a proper bed." Nocturno will graciously follow, and give any information needed while checking in.

Once that is done, he will talk to anyone if stopped, otherwise he will find a table, and order a wine and pie. The gnome seemed to have a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:36 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Tag leads them in, and the place has a an immediately homey feel to it. A few sturdy looking tables stand about, and booths along the edges of the common area. An L-shaped counter stands to one side in front of a swinging door that obviously leads to the kitchens. Candles gently light the room, and a low fire burns in the hearth; the spring so far this year having been fairly mild. A few patrons are filtering in as the sun begins to set, taking their evening meal or washing down the dust of the workday with an ale or two.

Tag finds a table for them and goes off to make arrangements. Before long, a human girl with long brown hair and freckles shows up to take their orders. Her upbeat demeanor and easy smile are impossible to ignore. Hi! Welcome to the Horse and Plow! she greets them cheerfully. At the request for pie, she smiles broadly. Oh yes! Mame is famous for pies! Well if you're wanting a meal, then we have the Shepherd's pie. Or if you mean for desert, we have apple and blueberry and blackberry! That one's my favorite. she giggles. And of course we have other things too. The roast corn is really good! We roast it right in the husk so it kind of steams itself, and it smells just like fall.

==
what is Chitt up to? hehe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:07 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

"Sheperd's for a meal, and a blackberry for dessert, on your advice of course. Trail rations have been lacking." Nocturno makes a smile? to the waitress. He hopes it passes for Human pleasantry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:51 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The waitress takes their orders, including any drinks, (once Jordek puts his in) and moves on to deliver them to the cook. She returns a few minutes later with the beverages. The food will be out in a little while.

Tag comes back from the counter with an ale. Well, it's all arranged. He sets a key down between them. This is a good place, in fact I think the others stayed here as well. Outside, the sun has set and dusk is beginning to fall, A few sparse street lights are being illuminated by men with torches on long poles, and the inn itself is igniting their own external lanterns. Well, my shift just ended. Cheers! he raises his mug and takes a drink. I'm not on duty tomorrow, but if you think of anything you need or want to see or do, just name it. It's the least I can do, honestly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:01 pm 
Lord
Lord

Chitt stays buried in Jordek's hair for the moment but rustles around. Feeling very out of place, Jordek will politely order a shepherd's pie and a blackberry pie as well as cup of juice if they have any.

Advanced search