Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 am

Advanced search

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tulbas' Vignette
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:44 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

"Well...if you're buying," Keira states. "A couple of drinks would be nice, help me warm up in this awful cold."

===========

(OOC: I don't use that particular book. But I will let you use cantrips to boost your CON checks against drinking.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:11 am 
Viscount
Viscount

Tulbas, a little irritated with Keira's continuous evasion of sharing her stolen money, slightly narrows his eyes and says just a little bit too roughly, "Anything for a fair lady..." Then he accompanies hers to the Steel Tankard.

On the way to the pub, Tulbas, trying to move as casual as ever, casts a Cantrip spell he used to learn as an apprentice to help himself keep sober even after long hours of drinking. "Drink and drink until the barrel is over, but do not fail to keep yourself sober." Tulbas mumbles silently in the ancient elven dialect, while sniffing some dries lemon powder, found in his pouches.

Once in the pub, Tulbas glances quickly around to see the pub population and heads with Keira to find seats on the bar. On the bar he asks Keira, "What would you prefer to drink?" and then asks the bartender for the woman's drink, a tankard of ale and a glass of scotch.

"So, Keira... Tell me more about yourself. What are your interests? What do you do after 'work'?" Tulbas asks while scanning the people in the bar trying to catch overheard conversations about the riots and the refugees.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:24 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

The Steel Tankard is filled to the brim with people, as usual, but the two manage to find a small table to sit at, nevertheless (the bar is too crowded). Most of the people there are talking about the riots, in fact. Some are discussing the death toll (the numbers are quite conflicting), others are talking about who started it, and others still on what the consequences might be or whether another one is likely.

Keira orders a pint of ale, and so the waitress brings it to her, as well as Tulbas' order of ale and whiskey. The ales cost a copper for each, while the whiskey costs a whole silver.

Tulbas wrote:
"So, Keira... Tell me more about yourself. What are your interests? What do you do after 'work'?"

"First, answer a question of my own," she retorts. "Why are you so interested in me, anyway?"

===========

Tulbas uses a cantrip. He will receive a +3 to his next CON check for drinking.
Tulbas spends 1 silver and 2 copper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:12 am 
Viscount
Viscount

Tulbas takes a several seconds to think, then thoughtfully answers while swirling his whiskey, "Well... We have met. Maybe by chance, or maybe by fate. I symphetize with you as my parents were murdered too by the 'Red Army' invasions. I feel for the refugees and for you...

I also fear the tension between the locals and the refugees might escalate and turn into civil war eventually. I hope to understand if there is an organization among the refugees, and if so to see if there is a way to find a peaceful solution."
Then Tulbas raises his whiskey, looks at Keira and says with a small and a little bit sad smile, "To your future..." and drinks his whiskey.

After enjoying the drink taste a feeling through his body, Tulbas raises his eyes again and asks Keira, "So Keira, would you like to help me?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:38 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Tulbas wrote:
"To your future..."

Keira raises her own drink, and then drinks about half of it in one go while Tulbas downs his whiskey.

Tulbas wrote:
"So Keira, would you like to help me?"

"Well," she says, setting down her mug, "that would depend on two things. First, what is it you would ask of me? Second, what's in it for me?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:27 am 
Viscount
Viscount

"Good questions... Both of them. I wish I had simple answers... Let's raise another toast for a simpler world..." Tulbas takes a deep sip of his ale.

Then Tulbas answers, "Well... I'm not asking much. Just looking for some info about what or who started the riot today. Do you know by any chance? About reward... few drinks, your hands, the satisfaction of being useful and myself for a company." Tulbas adds with a wink.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

"I'd rather have some good coin, to be honest," Keira replies. "Something tangible I can hold in my hands."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:44 am 
Viscount
Viscount

"Straight to the point... Well, I haven't heard anything useful yet. Maybe this will jog your memory..." Tulbas is starting to lose his patience but as a last effort puts a silver coin on the table his finger still pinning it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:51 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Keira rolls his eyes. "Oh, how generous of you," she mutters. Nevertheless, she reaches to take the coin. "I can tell you a little, from what I've heard. There was some street prophet who was arrested by the Holy Guard yesterday. They say he could perform actual miracles, including magical healing. His followers were demanding his release this morning, and a fight broke out between them and the guard. Nobody seems to know who started it; depends on who you ask."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 pm 
Viscount
Viscount

"I saved you from loosing your hands, and life of beggaring, so that is generous enough... Moreover, I let you keep all the money you stole today, which I could take as the price for saving you. I also offered you to join me, and have a chance to do good and exit this life of pickpocketing... Yet you are being stubborn and bargain with me on the information price..." Tulbas shakes his head disapprovingly.

"Do you know this prophet name, or at least describe him? Do you know why he was arrested?" Tulbas asks while presenting two more silvers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

"Yes, funny about that," Keira says. "That guard was a fresh-faced rookie. It's odd he was able to spot me so easily. Almost like he had help..." She trails off here, but watches Tulbas closely for a reaction.

"As for letting me keep my money, what else are you going to do? Rob me?" She chuckles at the thought.

"For that matter, how will helping you save me from a life of crime, exactly?" she inquires. "I steal because I have to, kid. Otherwise, I'd have died long before now. That's the way of things here in Haven."

She accepts the two additional silver pieces, and pockets them with the first. "I don't know his name, but that should be easy enough to find out. As for why he was arrested, that's simple. The Holy Guard arrest anyone who preaches a religion that isn't their own."

========

Tulbas spends 3 silver pieces.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:36 am 
Viscount
Viscount

Tulbas mumbles in the ancient elven dialect,

"Let my features be serene,
and my words robust,
For I am about win,
my audience trust."

Tulbas casts Cantrip to make himself look honest, trustworthy and convincing.

"Let's clear the air between us. I can understand your suspicions, but I ensure you it was a complete coincidence that I was near that guard while he noticed you. I saw him starts to move after you rumbling to himself that he knew you for thievery for some time and now he eventually had the chance to catch you on deed. I tried to save you, you were there and heard me keep saying you can avoid arrest and losing your hands by giving information. When the guard was not convinced I risked my neck to get you out of trouble.

Now, obviously I've no intention to rob you, even if I had the skills. What I meant by letting you keep it, is that I don't report the theft, since I mean you no harm.

So I hope we have cleared that up."

Tulbas takes a second for his words to sink. Then continues, "Life is full of choices and chances. Up until now you didn't know how to escape the circle of crime, but I offer you an exit. If you will join me, our investigation might lead us to make an actual change of the refugees situation for better, and living for a cause have a way to reward you and support you." Tulbas says passionately, his eye glittering with the Cantrip effect. "In the meanwhile, my uncle owns a shop, and I can ask him if he could use some help around. Maybe you can even stay with us."

Tulbas takes another few seconds to see how is words affected the woman. Then continues, "But first you need to decide that you really want this change for yourself, and second, it might take some time to earn my uncle's trust..."

"I tell you what, why won't you sleep on it. For today we are through... Let me buy you a high quality drink, to part with good taste." With that he waves for the waitress to get an order. "I'll stay here for a while try to get some more informations from the locals, then start the investigation on my own, but I'll keep coming here every day for a week at this hour, and if you decide you want to join along, just meet me here." When the waitress arrives Tulbas tells her, "Please take the lady's order, but give her the finest of your inventory." With that Tulbas hands the waitress two coppers, "For your trouble" he smiles, puts on the table, near Keira, two silvers, "For the drinks" and departs.

Tulbas is trying to find a place close to the group that talks about who started the riot, trying to figure if the story about the prophet comes up again, and learn some more details.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:48 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Despite the cantrip, Keira doesn't seem impressed with what he has to say. At his explanation of how he rescued her, she still appears skeptical.

Tulbas wrote:
"What I meant by letting you keep it, is that I don't report the theft, since I mean you no harm."

She giggles at this. "Impersonating a Holy Guard is a worse crime than pickpocketing. Magicking a Holy Guard is an even worse crime than that. You can't report me, without implicating yourself," she points out slyly.

Tulbas wrote:
"If you will join me, our investigation might lead us to make an actual change of the refugees situation for better, and living for a cause have a way to reward you and support you."

Keira shakes her head in disbelief. "Are you for real? Can anyone be that naive? Or is this some kind of con? If so, it's not a very good one. Even if you somehow solve this case, do you think it will undo all of the prejudice the refugees face? Or balance the inequality of wealth distribution? Or put an end to the brutal and unfair laws the Seekers force on everyone?"

Tulbas wrote:
"In the meanwhile, my uncle owns a shop, and I can ask him if he could use some help around. Maybe you can even stay with us."

She laughs. "Oh, I see. You want me to shack up with you? Sorry kid, you're a little tender for my liking. I like my men with at least a little hair on their chests," she winks. "Maybe in another five years or so," she adds, not realizing that Tulbas is an elf, and so is much older than he looks; and for that matter, will never grow chest hair, even if he lives to be 300.

She accepts the drink, though, and tells him she'll 'think about' his offer.

Wandering around the room, Tulbas overhears a trio of people talking about the riot at a table in the far corner. One's an old man, the other two are a man and woman, both in their early to mid twenties.

"The Holy Guard have gone too far," the old man muses. "To think, we fled here to avoid bloodshed, and yet bloodshed is brought upon us anyway. But not by ogres, goblins and demons, but by our own people. If I had had the misfortune of being in the marketplace this morning, I might have been killed, too."

"Hush now, grandfather," the young woman warns, looking around nervously. "If a Seeker should overhear you...you know the crime for heresy in this city."

=============

Tulbas uses a cantrip to improve his reaction adjustment +1 for one hour.
Tulbas spends 2 silver pieces on a drink for Keira.

(OOC: Does Tulbas finish his ale or take it with him, or just leave it at Keira's table?)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:53 am 
Viscount
Viscount

Tulbas scowls at Keria's words. 'God! How ungrateful one can be? So there goes the common belief that one should trust his instincts... I had a hunch about her, which proved hollow...' Tulbas thinks to himself while finishing his drinks.

Wiping his lips with the back of his hand Tulbas says, "I have the feeling you have already decided. Still I wish you all the best. Try to keep those delicate hands of yours..."

Dispirited by the Keira's reaction, Tulbas wanders through the room trying to catch some conversations regarding the riot.
Hearing the old man speaks, Tulbas agrees but fearing that pushing his nose too bluntly will only discourage the people from continuing the conversation, he keeps wander towards the bar hoping to catch other conversations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Tulbas spends the next half hour wandering about, eavesdropping on anyone he overhears talking about the riot. In that time, he comes away with the following information:

*The riot was over the arrest of a prophet yesterday by the Holy Guard. The prophet's name is Kelryn Darewind and he worships a deity known only as the Master. Supposedly, Kelryn demonstrated magical healing yesterday, cutting his hand and then healing it. Magical healing has not been seen in over 300 years, so if true, this is quite a claim.

*Kelryn's supporters attempted a demonstration in the marketplace (the same place he was arrested), asking for his release. In response, the Holy Guard sent the riot guard--a sub-section of their order that deals with unruly mobs (they are armed with clubs instead of blades).

*Nobody can agree on who started the riot. Some say the riot guard started attacking people who were only peacefully protesting, others claim Darewind's followers attacked first and the riot guard only defended themselves.

*Regardless of who started it, it quickly escalated and got out of control. Blood was shed, and several people were killed (including innocent bystanders who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, and had nothing to do with the event). At least two shops were burned down, six others were broken into and looted, and numerous carts were destroyed.

*The marketplace has been closed off. There's talk that the Holy Guard are going to declare martial law, including a curfew. Many are skeptical that the Holy Guard has the manpower to do this, however.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Advanced search