Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Haahque wrote:
Haahqae doesn’t know that Arulia is a good person or worshiping a good deity...

Nor does he know she's a cleric, though. If he did discover she was a cleric of Paladine, there would be no denying she must be a good person worshiping a good deity. He's studied enough of the old gods to know that much. Plus, remember, evil people don't consider themselves evil. They always believe they are doing the right thing. Belief that what you are doing is right does not make it so. It would still be considered an evil act. (Even the Nazis believed they had God on their side.)

Haahque wrote:
However if he did it, it would not be “just to make his life easier”, it would be entirely to get into the trusted books of the church, and to use that influence to make Ismene’s life easier (and to a lesser extent, make the lives of the city’s poorer folk easier).

But that, in itself, is because he cares about Ismene. If she were a stranger to him, I don't think he'd give a flip about her. For instance, he threw that pregnant woman out of her own room just because he wanted it instead. He didn't care, because he didn't know her. As for caring about the poor, I'll just reiterate, he once threw a pregnant woman out of her room just so he didn't have to share the common room with the poor.

Haahque wrote:
Haahqae, on his character sheet is neutral, and while I’ve been playing him as more of a good character when I can, he does have very selfish acts to counterbalance it.

My own notes have Haahqae as pretty firmly neutral. He has done some evil acts (stealing from the party, kicking out a pregnant woman), but not enough to shift him over. As for his good acts, they tend to be tainted by more selfish underlying motives. He tries to justify them, sometimes retroactively, as being Good but I always took it as just bluster. He is always out to serve himself first. If others benefit from that, he'll pat himself on the back for it. But it never seems to be his actual agenda.

For instance, he considers breaking into the old fort and stealing money from it to be a Good act, because he spent that money and that helps the economy. He always tries to phrase his motives like that, but it all rings pretty hollow. (In fact, when Miriam outright told him that being a hero means putting others first even when there is no personal gain involved, he found the idea rather baffling.)

Haahque wrote:
Recently he’s been fairly charitable, as well as focusing all his effort on saving someone from a fate he unwittingly condemned her to, which I would argue are pushing him back towards the good end of the spectrum...

I'm not sure I agree. As I said before, his desire to save Ismene seems more due to him liking her than any kind of altruism or even guilt over his own actions (indeed, he insists that it's the dragonarmy's fault for arresting the wrong person, not his own in any way). If this was only about justice and helping others, one would wonder why he is so disinterested in helping free the other people who have been wrongfully arrested (like the entire trade guild).

Haahque wrote:
I wasn’t considering a single evil act like turning over a good cleric to an evil church an act that would definitely label Haahqae as an evil character overall.

Well, even if you could argue against that successfully, it's still the beginning of a slippery slope. Remember, the 'prize' of turning in a cleric is basically a job. He would be an agent of the church, and they would give him assignments. So even if you could argue that turning over Arulia somehow wasn't evil, I don't think it would be possible to justify all of the subsequent jobs he'd receive from the church.

Haahque wrote:
However, Haahqae doesn’t know about Arulia’s faith so far, and I don’t see much of a way he could possibly find out, so the point is rather moot right now.

True. But he does know about Gobax. He could turn him over instead. But as I recall, Haahqae wants to turn over Evil clerics only (I imagine he thinks this somehow balances it out, morally speaking). So even if he knew Arulia was a cleric, I'd assume he still wouldn't want to turn her in since she is not Evil.

Haahque wrote:
And I also question Haahqae’s morality sometimes. Especially when he was turning selfish a few chapters back, I was questioning if he was becoming evil, if it made sense for him to be evil and if he was acting too good before then.

From my own notes, his morality has been very consistent so far. Very, very neutral. He does at times swing a bit like a pendulum between Good and Evil, but nothing (so far) to push him over to one side or the other.

Haahque wrote:
I don’t recall outright stating that Haahqae isn’t interested in making a pact with any deity, but you’re right. He isn’t.

I could have sworn you did. Or maybe implied it. I seem to remember telling you that Haahqae was 'all over the place' on divine favor, not really gaining ground on any one deity in particular, and you stated you were glad for that. I certainly got the impression that were a deity to offer a pact with him, you intended for him to turn it down anyway. So it seemed easier to just not worry about it.

Even before I stopped tracking it, his divine favor looked like this:
Reorx +2, Branchala +1, Hiddukel +2, Lunitari +4, Sirrion +3 , Sargonnas +1, Kiri-Jolith +1, Gilean +1

He doesn't come even close to getting the points needed (5 for Good/Evil or 10 for Neutral).

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 am 
Count
Count

TristenC wrote:
After Shima hands him the coin he stares at it in surprise. ...What's this for? [Lol. You rolled for how much he gives Grubnick. That's great :lol: ]

The roll was to simulate stuffing a hand (or two) into a pouch and just hand it over. Money is irrelevant to the dwarf as he expects to be dead soon.

Last edited by Chris1234 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:37 am 
Prince
Prince

Frankly, i thought it was great :D i figured that was why you rolled :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:33 pm 
Baron
Baron

Shima still owes Tulbas money back, so don't die too soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 pm 
Count
Count

Actually I thought that it was Gobax but you're probably right..
Come see him and he'll sort you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:00 pm 
Knight
Knight

I've been meaning to ask; Is the prefect's mansion's location common knowledge, or something Haahqae discovered through scouting? Is it possible for the public to visit the mansion legitimately? (Is there visiting hours?) And is it more of a municipal building or a private building, which just happens to have a dragon guarding it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

The prefect's mansion is in the noble district, which is off-limits to anyone without permission. Although it's location is common knowledge among the people since it wasn't always so. It's a private residence. It's where the governor used live before he was ousted by the Seekers.

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:34 pm 
Knight
Knight

In that case, Haahqae will have to cast invisibility on himself when he finds the chance (after bathing/leaving the inn, before he enters the noble's district).

How does one go about obtaining permission to enter the noble's district? Is it only for people hired by nobles/given special permission by nobles to enter the district; or is there certain professions that are allowed in without being affiliated with any one specific noble? If it's only for those hired by the nobles; is it common for nobles to send people out and hire for such jobs, or is there a job-board somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:54 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Soldiers, clerics, and of course, the nobles and their servants who live there may all enter. Whether you can enter or not is indicated on your ID papers. So to get permission, you'd need to head to the barracks and speak to one of the clerks there. If there are any job listings available for nobles' servants, they'd be in the barracks, as well.

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 am 
Knight
Knight

Remind me the duration of spider climb in 2e? I seem to recall it being shorter then I expected. I want to climb down the chimney, explore the house then climb back up the chimney, but I'm not sure what window of opportunity I have to do that in.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:26 am 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Spider Climb lasts 3 rounds + 1 round/level. So for Haahqae (level 3 illusionist), it would last 6 rounds.

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:41 am 
Prince
Prince

Would Grubnick know of any sewer entrances off of the main roads, or have any reason to suspect he could find one in an alley or something?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

As far as the general public knows, the only sewer entrances are in the main roads. Gobax isn't even a native of this city (he's only lived here for around a month), so I doubt he'd have any special knowledge otherwise.

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:51 am 
Prince
Prince

Ok, thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:45 pm 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

I've mentioned before that I've been working on my next Dragonlance game, for when this one is finished. It's not ready yet, but I'm getting there and I realized I should probably talk over the basics with the group. After all, if none of you are interested in it, I might need to do some retooling or figure something else out entirely.

It's called "Tower of Wayreth" and it takes place four years after this game (355 AC). It's an all-mage game. Elevator pitch below:

"Once, there were five towers of High Sorcery in Ansalon. Over the centuries, three were destroyed and one was cursed. Now only the last tower, the Tower of Wayreth, is still active. Nestled deep in the Qualinesti forests, the tower is enchanted so that it can only be found by those it wants to be found by. The tower is a center of learning where all mages, regardless of alignment, politics or religion, can research, study, teach, and learn together. The tower is also a haven. In the outside world, people hate and fear mages of any color. But in the halls of Wayreth, magic is respected and admired.

The party is a group of mages that live in the tower. Many mages do, eschewing the outside world entirely. But times are changing. The war is over, and the gods have returned. There are whispers that a mage, the prophesied 'Master of Past and Present' has reclaimed the cursed Tower of Palanthas for himself. Some are saying that in order to survive, mages need to re-enter the world, mingle with the non-mages and work to remove the stigma around sorcery.

The PCs are chosen as a vanguard, to go out into the world and serve the interests of mages everywhere. They will be sent to chase down renegades, uphold the reputation of honorable mages, investigate magical mysteries and hopefully become a group of wizardly heroes that young apprentices can one day look up to."

That's the basic gist of it. The party is sent on missions from the Conclave. Each mission is basically an adventure. Upon completing it, they return to the Tower. That's where downtime occurs, and the PCs can work on things like relationships, politics, research, and training. The game will start at level 5, since a group of level 1 mages can't really do anything (but also because I don't want to deal with doing Tests for everyone). Each mission will be different and have a variety of different ways to complete them.

I think it will be interesting. As a party of mages, the players must rely on their spells and their smarts to get by. 'Kick in the door' style strategy is not a good idea, because even at level 5, mages are still fairly squishy. Specializations will help even more, and just about every school of magic can be pretty useful. Abjuration for defense, Summoning for crowd control, Divination to make sure you have as much intel as possible before entering a situation, etc.

What do you all think of this idea? Does it sound appealing? Or should I take it back to the drawing board?

ProfileWWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Advanced search