Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Advanced search




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline
Count
Count

Joined:
Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:58 pm
Posts: 4284
Thanks for the info. It sounds a fine set up.
I'm playing enough mages just now and so won't be continuing with the campaign.


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am
Posts: 1431
Location:
Toronto
Haahqae saw some of the trade guild in the manor, but how much of it did he see? Was it a significant portion (30%+) or just 2-3 people?

I'm a little lost as to what Haahqae should do now. He wants to make sure he doesn't miss the execution (it sounded like you wanted him there and really, he can't miss it even on the slim chance that they're executing Ismene.) He wants to check out the dragon-lair in the tower (it's the only room secure enough to hold Ismene; and if a dragon can get in there without anyone noticing; why not a gnome? He also wants to mess with Yvette. However I don't think he has the remaining resources to get to the top of the tower unless they empty out (for the execution which he doesn't want to miss), and logically thinking, he doesn't have time to get to the noble's quarters, mess with Yvette's house and get back to the market square in time for the execution.

Can Haahqae find out more about the execution from looking at posters or overhearing conversations?

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11122
Location:
Washington, USA
I'm guessing by the deafening silence from the rest of you, that you all share Chris' sentiments and have no interest in continuing after this game is done?

As for Haahque's post:

Haahque wrote:
Was it a significant portion (30%+) or just 2-3 people?

He saw at least 9 members of the Trade Guild in the guest rooms, so most of them.

Haahque wrote:
...it sounded like you wanted him there and really, he can't miss it even on the slim chance that they're executing Ismene...

I'm a little confused by this. Isn't Haahqae's goal to rescue Ismene? If so, wouldn't attending her execution mean he's already failed? Wouldn't it make far more sense to find and free her before she's paraded onto a stage in front of hundreds of witnesses, surrounded by many guards, and then executed?

Haahque wrote:
He wants to check out the dragon-lair in the tower (it's the only room secure enough to hold Ismene)

Does that really add up, logically speaking, though? You're saying that the only prison secure enough for Ismene is the very vault she stands accused of breaking into? If Tethys believes Ismene broke into the vault, stole money, and then escaped it with no witnesses...why would he think putting her back into the vault would hold her?

Also, logistically speaking, wouldn't holding a valuable prisoner in a locked vault on the tenth story of a tower be inconvenient for interrogating purposes? If you were the prefect, wouldn't you want to keep her somewhere closer? Especially if you were really paranoid about rebel attacks and thus almost never left your mansion?

Haahque wrote:
Can Haahqae find out more about the execution from looking at posters or overhearing conversations?

There are no posters. The butler just now informed the prefect's personal guard. No public announcement has been made at all yet. He may overhear something about it at the mansion, but not at the grand market or the old fort.


Top
  ProfileWWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm 
Offline
Prince
Prince
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 pm
Posts: 6455
Location:
somewhere in the aether
To be honest, i hadn't had time to read the full pitch until today, and didn't want to respond until i had.

I like the premise of a party of mages sent out into a world that largely fears and mistrusts them to hunt renegades and explore various phenomena. The downtime in a tower could be a particular boon, potentially providing easier access to reaearch materials, laboratories, various arcana; all the tasty bits mages usually drool over.

Unfortunately, i find myself (predictably, once again) overcommitted time-wise. Obviously that has potential to change as none of us know for certain how long a given game will run, and thus when the other will begin.

I would be interested if at that time i had enough free time, but obviously i won't know until closer to then.


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 am 
Offline
Baron
Baron
User avatar

Joined:
Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 pm
Posts: 2584
Hi,
Sorry I haven't read the post until now.
I think it can be very interesting, but will it be balanced? Will there be NPC recruits available. Suppose we deal with magic resistant creature, what will we do? Tickle him to death? Also how so many mages should get along? Mages, even good ones, not to mention bad ones, are problematic personals. They are very competitive and don't like to share their knowledge. It can get bad.

But again, I think stretching our wits is nice and would like to participate in it.
I understand it is going to be on proboard forum?


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am
Posts: 1431
Location:
Toronto
JadedDM wrote:
I'm guessing by the deafening silence from the rest of you, that you all share Chris' sentiments and have no interest in continuing after this game is done?


I may well continue after this game's done; but we've been playing this game for 3+ years now and we (haven't?) even made it to winter yet. It feels like "after this game is done" might be a few years down the line; plenty of time to think about it and/or for my plans/free time to change.

The basic overview seems like a solid foundation; but I'm not sure about how interested I am in playing another mage; Haahqae is a very a-typical character for me in may regards; from the exceptionally low statline to the race (never played a gnome before) but especially because he's a mage. Of my spattering of a dozen or so D&D characters, I think Haahqae is only my second who's primarily a spell-caster (and the first to go longer then a 1off). Perhaps if I was able to make some sort of spell-blade I'd feel more comfortable with the character.

Of course, if point #1 where this game doesn't start for years happens, that's plenty of time for me to change my mind about point #2.

JadedDM wrote:
He saw at least 9 members of the Trade Guild in the guest rooms, so most of them.

That gives Haahqae a bit more reasonable evidence to suspect Ismene would be in the manner then I had thought at first. How much would he draw the comparison though? He has enough information to link the two if he had a clue about how the Prefect thought... but he has no idea how the prefect thinks, especially with his wisdom, Haahqae's going idea is pretty much that the Prefect is a moron who's determined to run the city into the ground through non-sustainable (wrongful) over-reaction to minor infractions and obnoxious oversights of much larger infractions. How would Haahqae be able to comprehend how a moron thinks?

JadedDM wrote:
Haahque wrote:
...it sounded like you wanted him there and really, he can't miss it even on the slim chance that they're executing Ismene...

I'm a little confused by this. Isn't Haahqae's goal to rescue Ismene? If so, wouldn't attending her execution mean he's already failed? Wouldn't it make far more sense to find and free her before she's paraded onto a stage in front of hundreds of witnesses, surrounded by many guards, and then executed?


That idea mostly came from the fact that when Haahqae was about to leave his scouting mission and go onto plan #2 that he had for the day; someone official popped up and might have well have said (paraphrasing here) "Something super important is happening in the marketplace today at some point and you have to be there".

Haahqae had figured he didn't have the resources to get out of the manor again once he got in; and he's been warned that they're using anti-invisible defenses. He's done pretty much all the scouting I can think of which doesn't include actually entering the manor, while as of this morning he had 3 possible locations to scout for Ismene; just the manor seemed the most likely. He doesn't have the time to search all 3 locations. He doesn't have the resources to spring Ismene even if he found her, and he doesn't have a solidly laid out plan to keep her freed even if he managed to do that. The best he could possibly hope for is to find her with enough time to talk to her for character development and/or planning for later; before slipping away. If Ismene is being executed today; he pretty much has already failed; and he better be at the execution find that out before he ends up trying to rescue someone who's already dead. There's also a chance of him flying into grief and doing something unthinkably stupid.

JadedDM wrote:
Haahque wrote:
He wants to check out the dragon-lair in the tower (it's the only room secure enough to hold Ismene)

Does that really add up, logically speaking, though? You're saying that the only prison secure enough for Ismene is the very vault she stands accused of breaking into? If Tethys believes Ismene broke into the vault, stole money, and then escaped it with no witnesses...why would he think putting her back into the vault would hold her?

Also, logistically speaking, wouldn't holding a valuable prisoner in a locked vault on the tenth story of a tower be inconvenient for interrogating purposes? If you were the prefect, wouldn't you want to keep her somewhere closer? Especially if you were really paranoid about rebel attacks and thus almost never left your mansion?


Thinking it through, Haahqae might just figure this out. He believes that he's probably interrogating her about where the missing money is; so it wouldn't make too much sense if she was in the top of the old keep. It would take him some thought to figure out the rest of the tower isn't secure enough to hold him/her without the soldiers knowing that there's significant extra security measures in place.

There are a lot of ways the vault is secure enough to hold the person who managed to break into it; not the least of which being illusion-piercing dragon sight, a door which won't be left open because it was opened before entering the vault and the dragon knowing that they're not just guarding a pile of gold, but also a prisoner. They could have also added additional security measures... However the inconvenience of interrogation marks it up to a very unlikely location for her being held.

JadedDM wrote:
Haahque wrote:
Can Haahqae find out more about the execution from looking at posters or overhearing conversations?

There are no posters. The butler just now informed the prefect's personal guard. No public announcement has been made at all yet. He may overhear something about it at the mansion, but not at the grand market or the old fort.


That is rather strange. You'd think they'd advertise the execution so that anyone who's thinking about rebelling would see the brutality afforded to that idea and be scared off of it. Not advertising speaks to fear that it would be attacked, disorganization or an attempt to keep it secret. Not sure how to take this one.

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 pm 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11122
Location:
Washington, USA
TristenC wrote:
The downtime in a tower could be a particular boon, potentially providing easier access to reaearch materials, laboratories, various arcana; all the tasty bits mages usually drool over.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Spell research and the like is something that isn't really feasible in this game (due to funds and such). So this game would definitely make up for it.

BishGada wrote:
Will there be NPC recruits available.

Like henchmen? Yes.

BishGada wrote:
Suppose we deal with magic resistant creature, what will we do?

I didn't have any specific plans to use such enemies, but if it came up, I guess you'd all have to be creative about it.

BishGada wrote:
Also how so many mages should get along? Mages, even good ones, not to mention bad ones, are problematic personals. They are very competitive and don't like to share their knowledge. It can get bad.

All of these mages, though, would be members of the Wizards of High Sorcery. They'll all know each other before hand, and may have even studied with or grown up with each other together in the tower. I'll probably have the group make their characters together, so they can decide their relationships with each other before we start.

BishGada wrote:
I understand it is going to be on proboard forum?

Correct.

I wanted to clear up some stuff, regarding your last in character post, too.

BishGada wrote:
"Mind you, I've broken no rule. It was all simulation and so were my actions.

BishGada wrote:
And so my action must have been as real as possible to show my true self and how I would act in real life.

Am I misunderstanding this? Because it seems a contradiction. First, Tulbas says he shouldn't be judged on his actions during the Test because none of it was real, but then says that actions were as true in the simulation as they would have been in reality.

Also, Tulbas goes on and on about how important it is to save others, but then in the OOC section you state that Tulbas would not risk his own life for any of them. Are you saying here that Tulbas only pretended to care about the other apprentices because he knew he was being tested and that otherwise he wouldn't have bothered? Or was he being genuine?

The main concern, though, is whether Tulbas is going to one day try and go renegade. That is a big part of the Test. And Tulbas all but said he would. He justifies killing Magnus (despite mages killing each other in the tower walls being a huge crime) because he states that the Orders were falling apart anyway. This is basically admitting that he will abandon the rules of the Orders if he thinks they won't be enforced. (You can imagine using such a defense in the real world. "Yes, your honor, I did kill those people and loot those buildings before torching them to the ground. But to be fair, I only did it because I thought society was ending.")

This is what Ladonna meant by 'reckless.' At this point, the Council of Three is less worried about which Order to place Tulbas in than they are about whether he should be failed and killed before he becomes a threat to them all. The fact that he cannot seem to make up his mind on whether he is Good, Evil or Neutral only reinforces that idea. I'd describe his behavior at this point as Chaotic Neutral, which is the typical alignment of a renegade.

Also, I whole-heartedly disagree with your assessment that Raistlin was Good. He was unequivocally Evil. He believed that his intelligence made him better than everyone else, even his own brother. And that gave him to right to do whatever he wanted. He would have ended the world if he had not been stopped. Sure, he did good things now and again. But that didn't make him a good person. Nobody is 100% Good or Evil. Even a White Robe can be selfish at times. Even a Black Robe can feel love. It's their overall behavior that dictates their alignment, not their most recent action. Raistlin betrayed his friends, killed his brother during his Test (out of jealousy, no less, because he couldn't stand the idea that his brother was equal to him in any way), and then, as I pointed out early, came dangerous close to ending the world. Just because he was nice to a gully dwarf now and again did not make up for that.

Haahque wrote:
It feels like "after this game is done" might be a few years down the line

Certainly not years. I intend to start increasing the downtime more and more, to quickly get through winter. Even so, there's always the chance the game will end prematurely, as well. There could be a TPK or we could all just decide to end it early.

Haahque wrote:
Perhaps if I was able to make some sort of spell-blade

I'm not sure what a spell-blade is. Is it just someone who can use a sword and spells? Like a Fighter/Mage?

Haahque wrote:
How much would he draw the comparison though?

I'm not sure. But there are similarities in how the Trade Guild was arrested and how Ismene was arrested. In both cases, there was no record made of the arrests. The army denies having arrested them at all. Normally when someone is arrested, they are put on a wagon and taken somewhere south, outside the city's walls. He might put together that if the Trade Guild was being held in the mansion instead, than Ismene might, as well. Just because she's not held in the same rooms doesn't mean she isn't held there at all. She is a magic user, after all. That likely warrants more security than just guest rooms with no bars or chains.

Haahque wrote:
That idea mostly came from the fact that when Haahqae was about to leave his scouting mission and go onto plan #2 that he had for the day; someone official popped up and might have well have said (paraphrasing here) "There's a possible time limit now, so maybe focus on plan #1 and forget about plan #2 for now".

Fixed that for ya. :P

Haahque wrote:
not the least of which being illusion-piercing dragon sight

I think you're forgetting how Haahqae was able to avoid the illusion-piercing dragon's sight himself. Dragons gotta sleep some time. Can't do that if they're guarding a prisoner.

Haahque wrote:
That is rather strange. You'd think they'd advertise the execution so that anyone who's thinking about rebelling would see the brutality afforded to that idea and be scared off of it. Not advertising speaks to fear that it would be attacked, disorganization or an attempt to keep it secret. Not sure how to take this one.

It's a good point. On the other hand, a quick execution with little warning or fanfare would, as you point out, make it difficult for anyone to plan an attack and while there wouldn't be as many witnesses, word of mouth would ensure that the whole city learned of it pretty quickly.


Top
  ProfileWWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:47 am 
Offline
Baron
Baron
User avatar

Joined:
Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 pm
Posts: 2584
Small background for the detailed answer:
I debated a lot with myself what to write. Even a moment before committing the long post I was about to delete it and just say, "I respect the Order, I did what I thought was the less of all evils and what would keep the balance. I might be wrong in my judgement but I meant only good. I'll accept your judgement." But then I thought since he didn't clarify anything, there will be no reason too change the decision to kill him instantly. 8O

JadedDM wrote:
Am I misunderstanding this? Because it seems a contradiction. First, Tulbas says he shouldn't be judged on his actions during the Test because none of it was real, but then says that actions were as true in the simulation as they would have been in reality.


It seems contradictory but it is not. In reality he definitely didn't commit a crime. He doesn't argue against being judge on his action in the trial, just stating that there is a difference between simulation and reality and it should sweeten the judgement a bit.

JadedDM wrote:
Also, Tulbas goes on and on about how important it is to save others, but then in the OOC section you state that Tulbas would not risk his own life for any of them. Are you saying here that Tulbas only pretended to care about the other apprentices because he knew he was being tested and that otherwise he wouldn't have bothered? Or was he being genuine?


No. Tulbas was genuine. In real life he would do the same (and in the adventure it showed). All I said that Tulbas never faced a decision where being selfish would definitely be the dead of a comrade. If such situation did happen and he would choose to die to sacrifice himself to save the other, that would mark him as a Good person. The actions he did so far (except killing Magnus) mark him as Neutral tending to Good. That was what I meant.

JadedDM wrote:
The main concern, though, is whether Tulbas is going to one day try and go renegade. That is a big part of the Test. And Tulbas all but said he would. He justifies killing Magnus (despite mages killing each other in the tower walls being a huge crime) because he states that the Orders were falling apart anyway. This is basically admitting that he will abandon the rules of the Orders if he thinks they won't be enforced. (You can imagine using such a defense in the real world. "Yes, your honor, I did kill those people and loot those buildings before torching them to the ground. But to be fair, I only did it because I thought society was ending.")


First, it's not that I knew mages are not killing mages and that the Tower is sacred, and decided to do it against the laws of the mages to prove some point or statement. Second, I think all Tulbas behavior since the beginning of his adventure is the complete opposite of becoming renegade. He tried to expose Darewind and was very obedient to Raetmal. He tried to catch Belzor and didn't joined the cult. He followed the church rules and didn't oppose them. He served Magnus in spite of all things. He appreciated his value in teaching and did respect his knowledge if not other characteristics (I had several posts about his debated and reaction to Magnus. He did enjoy practicing with him). He was against the rebellion and never agreed with the other apprentices that said they prefer to run away and not take the test. And he wanted to help the order survive the rebellion. His hate for Magnus is for once, very singular and second pretty much understood. I don't think it reflects on how he will react in life. Magnus murdered Raetmal (in real life, while he could spare him, and now I understand it is against the mages laws), does it indicate he is going to be renegade one day?

JadedDM wrote:
This is what Ladonna meant by 'reckless.' At this point, the Council of Three is less worried about which Order to place Tulbas in than they are about whether he should be failed and killed before he becomes a threat to them all. The fact that he cannot seem to make up his mind on whether he is Good, Evil or Neutral only reinforces that idea. I'd describe his behavior at this point as Chaotic Neutral, which is the typical alignment of a renegade.


Well, I disagree. I didn't mean Tulbas kills because there are no laws to prevent it, but he felt Magnus is a major threat in the situation they were in and Tulbas had no means to protect himself. Again, I think the whole situation with Magnus is an exception. I think most of his actions during the game put him Neutral tending to Lawful in respect to the order and laws and Neutral-Good in respect to his interaction with people (helping Daxia, his interaction with Darga, helping killing the giant, catching Belzor and so on).

JadedDM wrote:
Also, I whole-heartedly disagree with your assessment that Raistlin was Good. He was unequivocally Evil. He believed that his intelligence made him better than everyone else, even his own brother. And that gave him to right to do whatever he wanted. He would have ended the world if he had not been stopped. Sure, he did good things now and again. But that didn't make him a good person. Nobody is 100% Good or Evil. Even a White Robe can be selfish at times. Even a Black Robe can feel love. It's their overall behavior that dictates their alignment, not their most recent action. Raistlin betrayed his friends, killed his brother during his Test (out of jealousy, no less, because he couldn't stand the idea that his brother was equal to him in any way), and then, as I pointed out early, came dangerous close to ending the world. Just because he was nice to a gully dwarf now and again did not make up for that.


Yeah, well... I pretty much stand alone in protecting Raistlin. I can't argue about many deeds of him (especially since I read the stories once about 20 years ago). From what I remember, when Raistlin could travel time he found himself killing the goddess and destroying the world and for that reason he sacrificed himself. So in my opinion, even if a bit late, he redeemed himself and actually saved the world. This should be count as ultimate good deed.

I also don't see any scenario where Tulbas will become a threat to the Order. If at some point he would be strong enough he would oppose the occupation and later might try to find his sister.


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 am 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am
Posts: 1431
Location:
Toronto
JadedDM wrote:
Haahque wrote:
Perhaps if I was able to make some sort of spell-blade

I'm not sure what a spell-blade is. Is it just someone who can use a sword and spells? Like a Fighter/Mage?


Yeah that's sort of what it is. There's a few takes on the idea of merging spells with martial prowess; from the basic: Use spells to buff yourself (blurr/displacement/tensers/truesight/freedom of movement/flight etc) and then primarily combat through physical prowess augmented by your magic. To the more advanced: channeling your spells into your weapons and having extra effects; for example a duskblade in 3.5/pathfinder is allowed to cast a touch-spell through their weapon when they hit an enemy with it; effectively getting say; sword damage and shocking grasp damage on the same attack. Another interpretation is someone who uses conjuration and/or transmutation to make or improve their usual weaponry on a temporary or permanent basis as their primary form of combat.

I don't recall anything like that in the 2e books back when I perused them last, but I wasn't really looking for it. A fighter/mage might be the closest equivalent.

JadedDM wrote:
Haahque wrote:
How much would he draw the comparison though?

I'm not sure. But there are similarities in how the Trade Guild was arrested and how Ismene was arrested. In both cases, there was no record made of the arrests. The army denies having arrested them at all. Normally when someone is arrested, they are put on a wagon and taken somewhere south, outside the city's walls. He might put together that if the Trade Guild was being held in the mansion instead, than Ismene might, as well. Just because she's not held in the same rooms doesn't mean she isn't held there at all. She is a magic user, after all. That likely warrants more security than just guest rooms with no bars or chains.


He hasn't ruled out the possibility that she's being held there; it's just that he never planned to go inside the manor today; and that so many of his well laid plans have come back to bite him recently; I don't want him to charge into a heavily guarded building without a solid plan and only half his spells available; that sort of sounds like suicide. However, as he thinks on it, it's seems more likely that she is in the manor somewhere.


JadedDM wrote:
Haahque wrote:
That idea mostly came from the fact that when Haahqae was about to leave his scouting mission and go onto plan #2 that he had for the day; someone official popped up and might have well have said (paraphrasing here) "There's a possible time limit now, so maybe focus on plan #1 and forget about plan #2 for now".

Fixed that for ya. :P


Classic misinterpretation. However, he completed plan #1 already; he finally got a good initial scouting out of the manor with enough information that he could come back on another day (when he's had time to plan and has his spells back up) and have a good chance to get inside and back out again without ending up captured or dead first. It's sort of more "There's a possible time limit now, so forget plan #2 and panic instead." Which is pretty much what he's doing now.

JadedDM wrote:
Haahque wrote:
not the least of which being illusion-piercing dragon sight

I think you're forgetting how Haahqae was able to avoid the illusion-piercing dragon's sight himself. Dragons gotta sleep some time. Can't do that if they're guarding a prisoner.


I was under the impression that the dragons took shifts in the vault. Sleeping shifts theoretically; but it's not the most notable change if they switched them to awake shifts.

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:50 pm 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11122
Location:
Washington, USA
BishGada wrote:
Magnus murdered Raetmal (in real life, while he could spare him, and now I understand it is against the mages laws), does it indicate he is going to be renegade one day?

A wizard murdering another wizard isn't the issue, in fact, it's even expected to some degree. The crime is murdering another wizard within the walls of the Tower. The Tower is sacred neutral ground, considered holy to all three Orders. Magnus killed Raetmal in Haven, not in the Tower. That's why he's not chastised or punished for it.

BishGada wrote:
I didn't mean Tulbas kills because there are no laws to prevent it, but he felt Magnus is a major threat in the situation they were in and Tulbas had no means to protect himself.

In the simulation, Magnus was so wounded he couldn't even stand up. He had to ask Tulbas to fetch him bandages. He was no threat to anyone at that point. That Tulbas, a mere apprentice, managed to kill a wizard twice his level so easily showcases just how helpless Magnus really was.

BishGada wrote:
From what I remember, when Raistlin could travel time he found himself killing the goddess and destroying the world and for that reason he sacrificed himself. So in my opinion, even if a bit late, he redeemed himself and actually saved the world. This should be count as ultimate good deed.

It was actually his brother, Caramon, and the kender, Tasslehoff, who traveled into the future (by accident) and discovered the world was going to be destroyed because of Raistlin's actions. They then returned to the present and warned Raistlin what would happen. Raistlin then sacrificed himself to keep Takhisis from entering the world, but only because by that point it was too late (he had already opened the portal and it could only be closed from inside).

I don't think he can really be credited with 'saving' the world when he was the one who put it in danger in the first place. He 'saved' it by not going through with his plan. Imagine someone trying to murder you, deciding at the last second not to pull the trigger, then being called a hero for 'saving' your life. Granted, the Conclave certainly pushed the narrative after the fact that Raistlin was a great hero that saved the world, but they just wanted the good PR. (There's a reason they call it 'The Great Lie.')

I guess that's all not really important, though. None of it's even happened yet, in this game's timeline. We're still in Dragons of Autumn Twilight at this point.

Haahque wrote:
for example a duskblade in 3.5/pathfinder is allowed to cast a touch-spell through their weapon when they hit an enemy with it

I've heard the term 'duskblade' before, but don't know anything about it. I did some searching. It seems the general consensus is that duskblades can exist in Dragonlance, but not until the Fifth Age (we're currently in the Fourth Age), because they use spontaneous casting, which does not exist in Dragonlance yet.

Still, there might be something similar that would be close enough to what you're looking for. There are some 3E classes and prestige classes I'm trying to convert into kits, like those found in the Tower of Wayreth supplement. Once I have a good write-up for them, I'll share them, maybe one will sound good to you. And if you know of any other arcane classes that you'd like to see converted, let me know and I'll do some research.

Haahque wrote:
I was under the impression that the dragons took shifts in the vault. Sleeping shifts theoretically; but it's not the most notable change if they switched them to awake shifts.

That's right. One sleeps in the tower while the other flies over the city to patrol. If the tower one is awake guarding a prisoner instead, it would beg the question of where and when the two dragons find time to sleep. (Even dragons need to sleep at some point.)


Top
  ProfileWWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am
Posts: 1431
Location:
Toronto
Is there anyone in the library?

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11122
Location:
Washington, USA
Just a servant who is busy dusting the books.


Top
  ProfileWWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:34 am 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am
Posts: 1431
Location:
Toronto
Are magic items as near-impervious to all harm in 2e as they are in 3.5? Would, for example, a magical carpet be vulnerable to mundane (or cantrip) fire?

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:38 am 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11122
Location:
Washington, USA
Magical items gain bonuses to their saving throws, but they are not invulnerable. For instance, a mundane carpet saves against fire with a 13 or better and against magical fire (including cantrips) at 16 or better. A magical carpet would get a bonus to those saves. How much depends on the magic of the carpet. Probably somewhere between +1 and +3 at best.


Top
  ProfileWWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: WotL OOC Thread IV
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:20 pm 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am
Posts: 1431
Location:
Toronto
So all I need to do is set the carpet on fire 20 or more times and see if it saves on a 15 or better or not!

Ps. here's to hoping the chest is not a mimic.

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Top
  Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Advanced search


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HorizonsDream and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group