Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Act 1, Scene 4: "To Skald" (Game Thread)
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:29 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

"I think I like that idea better, we could hide them in the barn and I could leave a message in Elven, its less spoken and probably barely read." She nods in agreement with Elsa, "I think that would be best, after all we do have to get to Skald."

Waterdeep 5.0 - Calarina Lock Human Cleric

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I missed that the gold sword was a longsword when I read the post.

Artanis was about to say something several times, but by the time he developed the thought, others had spoken. So he finally decides to make the statements in one big lump.

"Yes, I only grabbed the arrows. I can use the longsword if you want me to carry it and have it available to use on any of the stranger creatures in this place. I like that: the Ranger with the extravagant swords. There are several pick up lines just begging to be used with that phrase. Or the introduction for a circus side show attraction. Yes there was a wagon akin to a carriage in the barn - but the only available horses to pull the carriage would be Pyros and Mira. I like the 'leave those weapons in there with a note' idea. And I am ready to depart also."

The Fall: Bruno Dodd, The Iron Sheik, Denise Dodd, Ald, Dannii Dodd

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 pm 
Viscount
Viscount

"New cities! I love new cities! Typically since they don't know me yet!" Pyros giggles at the thought of exploring a new city.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 am 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

"Agreed." Mira hands over the longsword running her hand down the blade. "Perhaps you might train me to use a longer weapon? Then I won't get so close."

"Come let's move the weapons, place them safely in the barn and depart." She agrees and collects the handful of iron bolts (is there a quiver or bolt case?)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 am 
Prince
Prince

[There are no evident quivers or bolt cases.]

Mira hands the gold-bladed longsword over to the ranger as the others move the left-over weapons to the barn. Once Mira has used the desk materials to make a quick note in elven, the group is ready to depart.

Suddenly Merrick appears near the others. Looking a trifle embarrassed at the abruptness of his arrival, he says I was just thinking. It would be rather unfortunate if I simply appeared out of nowhere along the road or in the middle of town. The spell wouldn’t have lasted much longer anyway.

====
I’ll make the additions to the char sheets presently.
[Time is 10:30 AM]
Last call before the party leaves the farm

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:29 am 
Count
Count

"It's always good to see you," Jerry whispers to Merrick.
When the others are ready to move off she shoulders her pack and goes, intending to settle into the middle of the group.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm 
Prince
Prince

The party strikes out from the farm, quickly connecting to the main road that moves north, towards Skald. The road winds through rolling hills covered with thick forest, with little space cleared to each side. The trees and changes in elevation obscure the view ahead until they break through the trees after a sharp bend, almost on top of the town itself. A wide stone wall standing 20 feet high, marked here and there by towers that rise another 5 feet or so, spreads along the front of the town; obscuring it from the road.

The west edge of the community lies along the swiftly flowing river, and the right rises across a hill to a sheer cliff.

High atop the 60' cliff to the east of Skald is a wall connecting it with a small fortress. [Skald, Area 4] This fortress, although not large, has a dark and powerful look to it. The walls are set with deadly spikes that make the battlements look most sinister. The entire building seems to loom over the town like a great beast waiting to attack. A great tower starts at the base of the cliff and runs up to become part of the keep itself, giving the structure an unnerving look. The design seems too unusual to be the work of mortal men. The Kartakan flag, a black field with a yellow lute set on it, is fluttering from a spire set atop this mighty stone tower.

Just past the trees the road comes to fork around a large, currently empty, pen. The fork to the East leads up a steep foothill to the base of the tower, but it is obvious this is not an entrance to the town itself.

The west fork leads past a scattering of buildings lying to the south of the town walls.[Area 7] Most of them are made of scrap lumber and even those that have been built of better materials have a look of poverty about them. Despite their initial appearance, however, many of them look quite sturdy and are protected with thick doors and shutters sporting large locks or bars.

The incessant drone of insects serves to distract from the constant scurrying of rodents as the poor and wretched go about their daily labors. Now and then, one of the inhabitants stops to look you over suspiciously. Without exception, there is a look of hunger and menace that cannot be concealed by a feigned smile or polite nod of the head. Here and there are some who have a less destitute look about them, replaced by an obvious arrogance or self-importance.

The road from the south into Skald passes through the shattered body of a once mighty fortress. [Area 6] It is hexagonal in shape, with walls standing some 20' high. Two towers are set into the north and south corners of the keep, both standing 25' tall. An additional curtain seems to have been removed from between them. The northern walls are still a part of the city's defenses and, as such, are well maintained. The southern half of the building, however, died long ago.
As you look upon this deserted building, the shadows themselves seem to take on the form of guards standing at their posts. This place has a presence about it, a long and honorable tradition of duty and service. When the wind blows, one can almost hear the marching of troops and the orders of officers. If ever a place seemed right for ghosts, this is it.

Gates providing entry into the town lie to the East and the West. There seems to be no difference between them otherwise. A trio of guards man each gate, and the gates themselves are open.

====
The party is roughly at the broken wall between 6 and 7 unless there are any objections. If anyone wants to do a quick retcon, that’s fine. Please let me know which side of Skald the party is going to enter (or if they plan to explore Area 7 more [Out Town]).

I’ll put up a post for Skald in the Acquired Party Knowledge Thread soon, including a Map and descriptions of the numbered areas as they are discovered.

[It is a little past Midday. about 12:30]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm 
Viscount
Viscount

On the way through the desitute Pyris will slip a silver coin into the pocket of any local that lets him close enough. Making his legendary small talk as he does.

He is overweight enough and those 100 silver are weighing him down.

[Need rolls?]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 am 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

"Ok lets get to the Broken Wheel." Mira suggests as she approaches the gate from the left hand side. "Greetings." She announces in Harmonian, "We are new in Town and were looking for the Broken Wheel, Erris has asked me to play there for a few nights." Having no idea if anyone knows who she is she makes sure her red hair is visible and the red 'gypsy' shawl is over her shoulders.

"I'm curious? Are these gates locked at night?" She asks surveying the massive keep, was this one of the villages they built to protect themselves from the savage beasts??

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:44 am 
Viscount
Viscount

If/when a Guard looks at Pyros he will have a huge grin "HULLO!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am 
Count
Count

Jerry will follow in Mira's wake.

======
Do the guards look hungry/menacing? Or more of the arrogant/self-important appearance?
Is there any indication (as yet) that the arrogant/self-important appearing people don't inhabit the scattering of buildings lying to the south of the town walls?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 am 
Prince
Prince

====

The guards seem normal but very watchful and somewhat suspicious. They don't have the same look as those in Out Town. Some of the arrogant/self-important ones seem to live outside the walls as well, though she can't be sure all of them do.

The guards will respond once we know about the wolf-pups

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 am 
Prince
Prince

Pyros makes an effort to slip his silver into various pouches and pockets, but the few people on the road keep their distance from the party for one reason or another. Mira explains her plan to the others and strolls up to the guards, making sure to flash her red hair in case they recognize her. As they approach, they notice a small table one of the younger guards is seated at with ink, quill and coarse paper ready for recording information.

The lead guard, a hard-worn, white-haired man in his late thirties, looks over the group. His gaze lingers a little on their weapons and the faces of the half-elves, but he makes no obvious objections. Mira suddenly gets the impression that he has committed everything to memory in quite a short time. While he doesn’t seem to recognize her in particular, he does reply to her query in Harmonian. The Broken Wheel is easy enough to find, I’ll give you directions. I need to get your names and ask what brings you all to Skald. He motions without looking for the youngest guard, who prepares to take down the information.

The main road will lead you to a fork. Take the left towards the river and you’ll find the Main Square. The road on the SouthEast corner heading up the hill will take you right to the Broken Wheel. It’s right at the base of the hill.

The guard gives her an unusual look at the question regarding the gates. All gates are closed at sundown. If you find yourself outside the walls at dark, you’ll need to find a place to stay in Out Town.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:10 am 
Count
Count

Jerry stays close to Merrick, relying on him to translate discreetly when necessary.
She smiles mildly to show she is unperturbed about not following the conversation. If the guards think she's simple, then that's fine too.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

"Thank you for the directions." Mira moves closer to the Young Guard, "My Name is Mira, I'm here to perform at the Broken Wheel, perhaps I should leave my Stage Name 'La Rouge Gitane.' ?" Motioning back to the group with a Flourish she points to The Ranger. "This is Artanis, Elsa, Cross, Jerry, Merrick and Pyros. They have travelled with me from Harmiona, and they are here to see what wonderful things your City has to offer."

"Sadly they have travelled far from here, and only Merrick speaks Harmonian." She adds with a quieter voice, "But they are learning."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next

Advanced search