Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Descending Deeper [into Madness] Act 1 Scene 3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

[Is Yelb going then? And if so, please describe how he would like to check them]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 am 
Viscount
Viscount

I won't lie, I am a bit nervous about doing something dangerous while the mind swap is happening. But as you said, we are also dangerous."

"We are thinking of going to check out the statues Pik. Do you have any insight other than they set your hair up?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:05 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Pik shrugs, I jus get dat feelin' i shouldn' touch em.. same as da weird step before an da pit trap. You wanna touch em, go ahead. I'll be far away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:19 am 
Viscount
Viscount

"Um, uh well... I pretty much trust Pik's direction on these type of things exclusively. If he says we should avoid them, I think we probably should."

"Any new leads Ornvul?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

[Jar knows from experience that it generally just means danger of some kind. The degree of danger isn't clear, and danger doesn't preclude benefit.]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:55 am 
Marquis
Marquis

'Hi Jar! Nothing new at this end yet,' replies the scout.

======
If someone relays the gist of the conversation with Pik to Ornvul (or confirms that that has already happened) then she will reply with some ideas.

{OOC: I will let the GM sync the time flow for where Ornvul is versus what the main group are doing. I'm essentially just trying to make the iterative grind less onerous to the main group.}

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 am 
Viscount
Viscount

"Pik says to avoid the statues, if he is wary of them. maybe we can check them out as a last effort? I'm leery of doing anything strenuous with the mind switching."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:05 am 
Marquis
Marquis

'I didn't really examine them before but I can do that to some extent when I get back without touching them and depending what we deduce either spells or mechanical methods or a combination of both might work. It certainly would help if we know exactly what is and is not magical in this area, including differences in strength. The other thing worth testing is whether Protection From Evil prevents the body swapping,' replies Ounvul.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:47 am 
Baron
Baron

Yelb adds, "Ornvul, We want to check the statues as they might be connected to the secret door that wouldn't open. I had bad feeling about them before as well, but as we wanted to push forward we only tried tie them up. Now we can try handle them one by one... And the protection from evil is a good idea but wouldn't work as I'm protected and body swapped with Seos." Yelb mentally blushes at the end of the sentence.

======================================================
(OOC: Did Yelb see a magical aura around the statues? I can't remember. To avoid the mind swapping either we can try the shrink trick on the orb, or the party will go to the edge of the swapping area and he will try to fetch one statue at a time. And maybe the swap will stop after getting the 4th rune...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 am 
Marquis
Marquis

'I recommend you look for differences in magical strength and school before touching regardless of how long it takes. Do everything for this. I only did the floors and visible doors. If all that is fine then examine for discontinuities in the statues, joints, items, floor. Looking for possible moving statues, or parts thereof, including button, levers and panels hiding the same. In passing, I've got a Telekinesis and Levitate memorized. You can see where I'm headed,' responds Ornvul as she continues with her annoyingly methodical search. 'I've found nothing changed so far. Nothing moved, absent or newly visible.'
'By the way, going back to the Protection from Evil, which I was hoping would prevent body swapping, but you're telling me not, correct? Well if we assume the effect is like a Magic Jar, no pun intended, Jar, what else could block a Magic Jar effect?'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:06 pm 
Baron
Baron

"Let me try a quick 'Shrink' on the globe." Yelb says. "I'll go alone. Then we can check if body swapping no longer takes effect with the fourth Rune. Seos, you might want to come along since we already had that experience?"

=====================================================
(OOC: Yelb will try the shrink of the globe and then if Seos will accept will go with her to the margin of the swapping area. Afterwards he will go to the statue alone or with the others depending on the results and will follow Ornvul remarks regarding searching for different type and strength of magic aura, followed by careful search for buttons and moving parts.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:12 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Yelb descends to the room with the white sphere and uses his minor magic in an attempt to shrink it. The spell makes nary a flicker as it touches the orb, which remains utterly unaffected.
[Yelb Casts Reduce on the white orb. The orb is unaffected]

Seos responds to the half-orc's request. Not that it wasn't fun last time, she says dryly, But I've no intention of swapping bodies with anyone else, ever again.

===
[Description of the statue room]
The door to the East at the end of the hallway stands open. The room beyond is lined with 6 life-sized statues. Each is of a man or woman, but with an arched cobra's head rather than a human or demihuman's. On the opposite side is an arched opening with a small stone gargoyle looming over the keystone. The gargoyle bears coiling, hissing snakes rather than arms.

The statues appear to be made of stone, and have no religious, markings on them aside from the symbolic vestments; which Jar identifies as being consistent with followers of Vytholus; though the snakelike features confirm that as well. The statues all glow with powerful conjuration magic.

A heavy curtain on the far side stands open, revealing an empty room beyond.
[/description]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 am 
Viscount
Viscount

"i'll go with you. I've no fear of the switching... I'm comfortable enough. Maybe we can establish something with the statues while down there."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:31 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Jar moves down the long stairway, joining Yelb at the bottom and the pair make their way to the room with the snakeperson statues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 pm 
Baron
Baron

Failing the 'Reduce' spell on the orb bothers Yelb and he reports it to all. 'Maybe there is some trigger in the maze that can stop it's functioning. Maybe if we catch an enemy alive we can interrogate them.' He broadcasts.
Returning to the group and hearing Seos answer he looks at her for a long moment, clearly unable to avoid admiring her body, then he says quietly, "As you wish..." and to Jar suggestion he answer with a simple nod of acceptance and respect.

"So, Jardinger my friend, most probably the statues will become creatures we might need to fight or creatures will come out of the statues. We need to prepare for such fight with multiple enemies. " he tells Jardinger in normal voice. "If the statues maintain their form and danger appears, I thought to grab the statue closest to the entrance and make a run for it. In any case shall the danger be high we can fallback and return to the group or call for their help."

=================================================================================
(OOC: Last time we tied the statues, right? And they are still tied, right?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Advanced search